Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Icons..next? Please!?
Icons..next? Please!?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woody1234

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Icons..next? Please!?

Any chance we could get some way of having icons? Even if they are they are the OOo icons?
M-Rick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject:

Me I use the Ximian Stock icons available here

the problem is that Neoffice use bmp files and the icons are in png with an alpha layer that NeoOffice doesn't recognize. If it was compiled from the build of OOo 1.1 it would be possible to change the grey background color in something softer and use them like this wihtout any changes.
You must convert them in bmp and adding the backgroung grey color for each one of them !

You can use also these sets but less complete :

OpenOffice.org1.1 toolbar icon themes but same problem, they have been built for the 1.1 version, so you'll have to convert they in bmp ....
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Document icons or interface icons?

I thought this was about Finder (document) icons. Question

If that's the case, Patrick mentioned over in Bugzilla that the next release will use the NeoJ app icon for documents.

I've been playing around with creating some "real" document icons based on the app icon. Nothing fancy, as I'm no artist. They scale ok down to 32x32, where they become a bit soft.

Suggestions/improvements welcome.

Smokey

[15 Feb: edited to remove the url to the old icons]

Last edited by sardisson on Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:47 am; edited 2 times in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject:

Smokey,

These look much better than the application icon I was going to use in the next release. I think that I could work these icons into the NeoOffice/J Info.plist without much effort.

It would be really cool to add you icons. But there are some administrative details that we need to take care of before I check the icon files into the NeoJ source code repository:

1. Whose artwork, if any, did you include in the icons? My concern here is that if you used Apple's or somebody else's artwork, we need to make sure that their license allows you to modify and redistribute their artwork. I am not sure what Apple's license terms are for their icons.

2. Assuming that the license on any included artwork is OK, will you license your icons using the GNU Public License (GPL)? NeoJ uses the GPL so the icons need to use the GPL (or LGPL) in order for me to include them. You can view a copy of the GPL at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
1. Whose artwork, if any, did you include in the icons? My concern here is that if you used Apple's or somebody else's artwork, we need to make sure that their license allows you to modify and redistribute their artwork. I am not sure what Apple's license terms are for their icons.

The blank white base indeed comes from Apple's generic document icon. Although it seems other developers are using that (QuickBooks and Goldberg are two apps I have that seem to be applying their "badge" to the Apple generic icon), I poked around a little bit at ADC and didn't see anything either way. I'll see if I can't recreate something similar this evening, as well as do a new "Generic Text" (Apple's currently). I don't know that the "Internet-related" icon is needed, but it's obviously a problem, too. Everything else was created in NeoJ and/or Photoshop and then composited.

Incidentally, what icons/icon types am I missing?

I also noted that the new Aqua HIG call for centered badges and text descriptions of types (a la Preview docs) rather than off-centered badges, but I think the latter looks better, particularly if you have lots of types you want to easily distinguish; visualize the type on the document and badge it....

I'll take a look at the GPL, too, but I don't anticipate having a problem with it Smile

Smokey
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
The blank white base indeed comes from Apple's generic document icon. Although it seems other developers are using that (QuickBooks and Goldberg are two apps I have that seem to be applying their "badge" to the Apple generic icon), I poked around a little bit at ADC and didn't see anything either way. I'll see if I can't recreate something similar this evening, as well as do a new "Generic Text" (Apple's currently). I don't know that the "Internet-related" icon is needed, but it's obviously a problem, too. Everything else was created in NeoJ and/or Photoshop and then composited.

I have not found any licenses specific to Apple's icons so I would assume that, unless we find an actual license from Apple, Apple's license is incompatible with the GPL license (most corporations don't like the GPL since it allows anyone to modify and/or redistribute their work).

sardisson wrote:
Incidentally, what icons/icon types am I missing?

I'm sure that you need a separate icon for every possible file type, but if it helps, below are the 29 file types that I have NeoJ configured to open. The first 9 are the ones that are OpenOffice.org's file types and the rest are file types used by other applications that NeoJ can import (e.g. TextEdit and MSOffice). If you could map the icons to the extensions, that would make it much easier to add the icons to the installer:

sdc
sdd
sdw
sxc
sxd
sxi
sxm
sxp
sxw
csv
dbf
dif
doc
html
mml
pot
ppt
rtf
sda
slk
smf
stc
std
sti
stw
txt
vor
xls
xlt

sardisson wrote:
I'll take a look at the GPL, too, but I don't anticipate having a problem with it Smile

Note that by using the GPL, you still retain copyright for your work and you retain the ability to simultaneous license your work under a different license or even sell the copyright. The issue with the GPL is that once you issue a GPL release, you cannot retroactively de-GPL a release.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I'm sure that you need a separate icon for every possible file type, but if it helps, below are the 29 file types that I have NeoJ configured to open.

Wow! That's a lot of icons Surprised

I've got a new base icon ready. Similar enough to look like a nice OS X icon but (hopefully) with enough flaws and deviations that no fruit company will cry foul. (And a few new Photoshop techniques learned, but still not enough to wipe out that strange little line in the dog-ear....)

Last edited by sardisson on Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Wow! That's a lot of icons Surprised

You don't need to create a special icon for each of the 29 types. I would think that each icon would probably be matched to a handful of file types. For example, "sdc", "sxc", and "xls" are all spreadsheet file types and can use the same icon.

When the file type is not common or clear, I would just map it to your "generic text" icon.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

You don't need to create a special icon for each of the 29 types.

I stopped at 22 Smile, and a few of those are generics/variations.

Preview image is http://homepage.mac.com/sardisson/neoj/neojicons2.jpg (157 KB) and the set is http://homepage.mac.com/sardisson/neoj/neojicons.sit (903 KB).

Let me know if there are any issues.

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject:

Smokey,

The icons look good. I noticed that you needed to update the Readme file. I believe that the ship is public domain (Ed, let me know if that is incorrect) so you should not need the copyright.

Also, if you could put a copy of the GPL in a License file in your *.sit file, I will check a copy into the NeoJ source code repository.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject:

I've edited the Readme and added a copy of the GPL, as well as removed the previews from the files (keep forgetting OS X can do that automatically!), which cuts the filesize in half.

New http://homepage.mac.com/sardisson/neoj/neojicons.sit is only 483 KB.

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject:

Smokey,

Thanks for the icons. I will definitely add them to the upcoming NeoJ 0.8.1 release.

Patrick
Woody1234

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject:

This is awesome news!!!

Thanks guys...
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1