Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - reading .rtf files
reading .rtf files

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bgerszewski@wi.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: reading .rtf files

I have a mac mini. I use Open Office to view documents. I receive my job assignments via email and they arrive in a .rtf format. I believe the file is made up of a chart or graph or similarly formatted file. When I open the file all the words appear in singular line on the left side of the pages (7 or 8 pages instead of 1).

Will the neooffice download allow me see these files properly?

thanks for any help ...

bob
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure than an rtf file can include a chart or a graph. But I could be wrong.

Have you tried opening them in Text Edit?

If your job assignments aren't sensitive in nature, you could post one somewhere and provide the url for one of us to try.

Or, you could download and install NeoOffice and give it a try yourself.
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject:

I try with a doc made in word2004 Evil or Very Mad and saved on rtf format with:
Images
Graphs
and a "WordArt"

The first come good. The second moves but you can put it where you want. The WordArt DESAPPEAR

Hoping that it helps
Rodrigo
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure what you generated the .RTF file with, but the normal definition of .RTF is: Rich TEXT file.
It should include items that change Text (Bold, Underline, etc), line breaks and such. The key word is TEXT. Anything else is an extra ... gift.

Philip ( .RTF is great for moving TEXT between different systems. Wink )

<edit> Wikipedia has a good article about RTF_format:
Quote:
The Rich Text Format (often abbreviated to RTF) is a proprietary document file format developed by Microsoft since 1987 for cross-platform document interchange. Most word processors are able to read and write RTF documents. Unlike most word processing formats, RTF is human-readable.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: RTFD

Is this perhaps an RTFD formatted document?
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject:

Hi Robert,

The file you sent me is not standard RTF, in the sense that it contains a frame or frames.

Now, I've done a couple of things with it:

1) It successfully opens under M$ Word 98 running in Mac OS 9 Classic mode.

2) That revealed that the file contained multiple frames which were certainly not generated from an RTF file (which, as others have confirmed, contain only text and basic formatting of text only items).

3) Changing the extension to .html allows you to view the contents of the file. This reveals that the file is being generated from an application called Easy Trip Software Version 3.6. A quick Google search brings-up <http://www.easytrip.net/> as the source and reveals that the latest version is version 3.7a (shortly to be 3.Cool.

I didn't have time to delve into the site any deeper but I do suggest you start there to find out what formats are really being exported from this software and even email their tech support.

If it is any consolation, the same mess appears in OpenOffice.org 2.1 on WindowsXP.

When I see the layout in M$ Word 98, it is clear that it is not a format that could be exported successfully to .rtf with any hope of integrity of layout. My advice would be to contact the software developers for advice at this point.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

revsmitty
Keymaker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject:

Ray wrote:
Quote:
The file you sent me is not standard RTF, in the sense that it contains a frame or frames.

What happens if after you open it you click inside the 'frame' and choose the Table>Convert> Frame to Text?

I've had pretty good success doing that when I copy from an html document to a text document.

Galen
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1