Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Support for Mac aliases (as opposed to symlinks)?
Support for Mac aliases (as opposed to symlinks)?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Support for Mac aliases (as opposed to symlinks)?

I just re-happened upon this issue (from way before I knew about trinity, etc., and my "solution" then was to alter my file arrangement), but I started a new project and found it again. Not sure if ths is the right forum for it, either, but...

OOo 1.0.3GM (and thus NeoJ) and 1.1.x RC/TP don't seem to be able to handle/follow traditional Mac file or folder aliases (instead, they attempt to open the alias file itself) in open/save boxes, etc. Symlinks are fine (as one would expect), but the Finder, and I imagine most users, create the traditional variety.

Is there any chance of support for this making it into the X11 builds or is this a feature that needs to wait for 2.0/Aqua/Neo? (Or is it already there and just not working for me? Smile)

Smokey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject:

No, you are correct...right now the X11 versions probably don't resolve aliases correctly as they're using the regular POSIX file system calls and not the magic HFS calls that resolve them automatically. I actually hadn't noticed this myself, but I guess this is primarily through habit since I ususally make symlinks these days.

I'd probably go ahead and file something in IZ about this. I'm not sure if it's easy to solve, though. A quick test in Terminal showed that I can't use "cd" to cd to a directory that's an alias. This may be something very fundamental to OS X apps that don't use Carbon or Cocoa file APIs, however.

I'll add this limitation to the readme. It's similar to how OOo can't open locked files either Sad

ed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Hello!

Being an ordinary OOo/NeoJ Mac "end" user with no real Unix experience: can you direct me to the magic to make "symlinks"? Since OOo is the office suite I use to manage my business, and using aliases has been a habit of mine, I would like to overcome the current limitation of OOo/NeoJ. If this is not a subject for elaboration here, can you please direct me to where I could find such instructions.

Thanks for all the work in making OOo available!

Best regards

Fredrik Stendahl
Agronomist/Illustrator
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure if there's a way to make symlinks from the Finder, I use the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app).

The command to make a symlink is "ln -s". The syntax is "ln -s from to".

Say, for example, you wanted to make an alias to your OS 9 Documents folder (directly on the startup disk) within your home directory Documents folder. You would open up a Terminal and do the following:

Code:

cd ~
cd Documents
ln -s /Documents "Documents (Mac OS 9)"

The first "cd ~" moves you to your home directory. The "cd Documents" moves you into your Documents folder. Then the final "ln" makes a link named "Documents (Mac OS 9)" that points to the old-style "Documents" folder that lives on your startup disk.

For more information, see the man page for ln:

http://www.hmug.org/man/1/ln.html

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject:

A quick Googling also revealed the following tutorial which may be a better explanation for traditional Mac users about the differences between aliases and symbolic links:

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.asp?p=30243&seqNum=6

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Aliases and symlinks

OPENSTEP wrote:
No, you are correct...right now the X11 versions probably don't resolve aliases correctly as they're using the regular POSIX file system calls and not the magic HFS calls that resolve them automatically. I actually hadn't noticed this myself, but I guess this is primarily through habit since I ususally make symlinks these days.

I'd probably go ahead and file something in IZ about this. I'm not sure if it's easy to solve, though. A quick test in Terminal showed that I can't use "cd" to cd to a directory that's an alias. This may be something very fundamental to OS X apps that don't use Carbon or Cocoa file APIs, however.

I'll add this limitation to the readme. It's similar to how OOo can't open locked files either Sad

ed

FYI. Although I have done limited testing, "Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b9 seems to handle both aliases and symlinks to documents quite happily and correctly (both dragged to the "Start OpenOffice.org" application icon, and OOo document alias/symlink documents that are double-clicked).

Note: if you move/rename the original document, aliases to the document will continue to work; but symlinks to the document won't work (as explained elsewhere in this forum).

Hope this helps.

Regards, Terry
[author of "Start OpenOffice.org"]
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject:

A nifty Mac trick:

x-man-page://ln

working example here

Of course, it doesn't open up a nice, pretty, formatted page like HMUG (now that's a trick!), nor does it seem to work in these fora Sad but it does give you the manpage for the version of the OS/command you have on your Mac Smile

Smokey
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject:

OK, I filed it as a bug. I'm really new at the "formal bug reporting" stuff, so hopefully it's not too bad of a report Smile

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=30420

Smokey
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject:

If you want to use symbolic links instead of aliases, without going to the Terminal all the time, try the free SymbolicLinker contextual menu plugin by Nick Zitsmann, available here . Just select the file(s) you want to link to and (Ctrl/Right)-click

Luke
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1