Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Can Launch from SuperUser account but not others!
Can Launch from SuperUser account but not others!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dodge
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Can Launch from SuperUser account but not others!

Hi, I hope you can help me!

I can launch OpenOffice1.0.1 from my Admin account using X11 (although I have to point the StartOpenOffice app to X11 twice every time I launch - not a big problem though) but I can't launch it from my normal user account. Confused

X11 launches but nothing happens even when I leave it for half an hour. No OpenOffice process is started. Neither X11 or StartOpenOffice crashes and there is no error message written to the console.

It works fine from my SuperUser account (from which I installed both OpenOffice and X11) and it is very nice. Cool

I have looked through all the other threads in this forum and not been able to solve it myself so if the solution was there all along or it's something I've not done correctly I do apologise!

Thanks!
Smile
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject:

If you installed it from an admin account and are trying to use it from a different user account, you may be experiencing a bug in the multi-user support. OpenOffice.org needs to have a setup step done on a per-user basis, and the automatic invocation may not be taking hold.

Try launching it from a terminal on the first go around with the new user account:

1) Start X11.app
    2) Start a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
    3) Execute the following Terminal commands:
    Code:

setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/filter
    setenv DISPLAY localhost:0.0
    sh /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/soffice

4) See if OpenOffice.org starts. If it doesn't, please look for a file named ".sversionrc" in your home directory:
    Code:

ls ~/.sversionrc

If you don't have that file, then something went wrong in the multiuser support scripts and we'll have to set it up manually.

ed
dodge
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject:

Wow! Fast response!

Those commands didn't work (apart from the Setenv ones) even though I changed OpenOffice1.0.3 to OpenOffice1.0.1 as that's the version I've got.

That last command for launching soffice.bin gave the response:-

[neutron:~] owen% sh /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/program/soffice I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale ""
creating font cache ... done in 0.100000 s
PrintFontManager::initialize: collected 71 fonts (41 builtin)
Step 1 took 5.580000 seconds
Step 2 took 0.000000 seconds
Step 3 took 0.000000 seconds

Then a dialog box opens inviting me to start the setup application. The file .sversionrc is not in my home directory and does not appear to be anywhere else on my disk either.

I clicked 'yes' and I'm being asked if I want to Modify, Repair or Remove.

I've got to admit that though I'm trying to learn Unix and am confident with basic things I am rapidly getting out of my depth!

Embarassed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject:

Ah...well, version 1.0.1 is a beta version or earlier...I'd recommend going with 1.0.3 Smile 1.0.3 has the multiuser support, not 1.0.1...

An easy way to fix a 1.0.1 installation for a new user account is to create a text file named .sversionrc in your user's home directory and give it a proper path to where OOo lives. For example

1) Open a Terminal

2) emacs ~/.sversionrc

3) Type in the following as the contents of the file (two separate lines):

[Versions]
    OpenOffice.org 1.0.1=file:///Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.1

4) Hit "Control-x Control-s"...emacs keycombo to save the file.

5) Hit "Control-x Control-c"...emacs keycombo to exit emacs.

Now you should be able to start up without hitting that setup screen.

Note that the above only applies to 1.0.1...1.0.3 has a separate mechanism for doing multi-user installations that allows different settings for each user.

ed
dodge
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:07 am    Post subject:

It works! Very Happy

Many thanks for your time and effort. I'm really grateful to you and the OpenOffice community as a whole for all the work that is being done to get OpenOffice (especially the Mac version!) flying. I'll do my (very limited) best to make a contribution as well. The first thing I can do is persuade Mac owners I know to start using the software and that starts today!

I'll have to stick with 1.0.1 for a while as I've only got a dialup connection but I'll get the most up to date version as soon as I can. I want to get the best from the software that people have worked so hard to produce.

Thank you once again.

Owen.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1