Joined: May 25, 2003 Posts: 4752 Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:12 am Post subject: Moving Neo to base off of OOo 1.1
Well, unfortunately right now we've run into a slight snag...
Panther (10.3) contains several API improvements that we need to really finish off the Cocoa VCL. Unfortunately, it also contains bugs in early builds that prevent Neo from launching properly and results in cascading failures in the Cocoa frameworks. So 10.3 development is halted.
So what's next? Well, now that I've finished narrowing down our 10.3 bugs into reasonable test cases and filing bug reports, it's time to move Neo to the 1.1 codebase.
My process of doing this in the past has been the following:
1) Obtain checkouts of the intermediate versions we want to move between. Neo's currently at 1.0.1, so we want to get OOO_STABLE_1 from 1.0.1 and the building 1.1 OS X sources.
2) Generate a unified diff for each module between those two. Keep diff generation output to note missing/new/removed files.
3) Tag the Neo repository.
4) Proceed on a module by module basis in the Neo source: add in new files, remove old files, add in new files. Run "desissl.pl" and "gplify.pl" on the new files to remove SISSL, change LGPL to GPL. Remember that bitmaps need to be "-kb"d when added.
5) Apply the diff for each Neo module. Note that offsets of -16 lines (?) are fine during application of a patch. These should be consistent and represent the removal of the SISSL.
6) Locate new modules for 11. Add new modules to the repository. Run "desissl.pl" and "gplify.pl" on their contents.
7) Scale any new bitmaps to the proper dimensions.
8) Run a dmake and see where it breaks!
In theory we could split this up on a module by module basis if others want to help with the pullup. Alone it'd probably take me two weeks or so, but I'm going on vacation in about a week and a half so it may be longer :(
In the past doing major pullups, I've seen the patching process introduce bugs a few times, so some runtime errors may creep in. Additionally, we'll have to do some extra work to probably back out some of the context-aware font rendering stuff in Neo since it's in the 1.1 VCL, or at least adapt it. I need to look at it carefully, but we need to work it in such a way that the OS, not OOo, is responsible for doing ligatures and the like. Attributed text is another story...ah, the future will be fun!
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum