Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Viewing an MS Access DB with Neo?
Viewing an MS Access DB with Neo?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GibHenry
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Viewing an MS Access DB with Neo?

Is it possible? I've reviewed the somewhat inconclusive info in the NeoWiki, but the answer is not clear. I do not need to create, maintain, or update a database, just view an existing one.

I want to order some genealogical records on CD/DVD from the Commonwealth of Kentucky, but they're in (your choice of) MS Access 2000 or MS Access '97. Can I view this data with NeoOffice? With or without ODBCNet from August Software? Thanks for any clarifications. Cheers,

Operator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject:

Hi,

It may not be the answer your wanna hear but on this post someone asked the same about a month ago
https://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=50110#50110

greetz,

Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject:

yakusha wrote:
It may not be the answer your wanna hear but on this post someone asked the same about a month ago
https://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=50110#50110
greetz,

Thanks, I was already pretty confident I wouldn't get the answer I wanted. Cool I had seen that reference and a couple of others, but they all refer to connecting to database servers. I don't need to do that; I just want to view a database file, which in many cases is different from (and usually easier than) connecting to a server. Most databases have a free viewer. But in this case, maybe it requires opening it in a server and then connecting to it with a client?!?! Ye gads! Cheers,

The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Well, Access actually isn't a client-server database in the traditional sense; it is a file based database. If you really need to get into that file, the only method I can think of is to try and use JDBC with a Type IV JDBC Access driver. That is, one that's written in pure Java and doesn't have any dependency on Windows (most of the drivers I've seen do). I've never seen a free software Type 4 driver.

While I've never tried it myself, this company does seem to have one that at least has a 30 day trial period:

http://www.csv-jdbc.com/stels_mdb_jdbc.htm

After that it's $110 (!), at which point it might be more cost effective to find Parallels/VirtualPC and get Access.

Again, using a Type IV driver will only allow access to the data in the .mdb file. Any GUI forms made in Access would not be accessible, even with the JDBC driver.

ed
GibHenry
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: No dice at that price!

OPENSTEP wrote:
Well, Access actually isn't a client-server database in the traditional sense; it is a file based database. If you really need to get into that file, the only method I can think of is to try and use JDBC with a Type IV JDBC Access driver. That is, one that's written in pure Java and doesn't have any dependency on Windows (most of the drivers I've seen do). I've never seen a free software Type 4 driver.

While I've never tried it myself, this company does seem to have one that at least has a 30 day trial period:

http://www.csv-jdbc.com/stels_mdb_jdbc.htm

After that it's $110 (!), at which point it might be more cost effective to find Parallels/VirtualPC and get Access.

Again, using a Type IV driver will only allow access to the data in the .mdb file. Any GUI forms made in Access would not be accessible, even with the JDBC driver.

Yikes! That sure quenches my thirst, Ed! I'd love to get the data, but not at that price! (Sigh. Well, at least it's not a Macintosh limitation.) Cheers,

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject:

The Actual Technologies driver is only $29, though the 30-day free trial on the StelsMDB is certainly nice.

It's sad (but understandable) that we've never had anyone who appears to have actually tested any of these solutions with NeoOffice--and given that, I've made the untested nature a little more prominent in the wiki article.

Of course, $29, $110, and "free but requires Access" solutions aren't really a great set of options Sad Yay proprietary monoculture Razz

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject:

Yeah, that is the problem with Access's built in format. There was an open source project a long time ago to try and read the format (mdbtools), but it's been orphaned for years, has only ever attempted read-only, etc. And, of course, I don't know of any cross-platform driver that supports Access 2007 files either. I think MS changed the database format again.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject:

This one also claims to be a pure Java Type 4:

http://www.hxtt.com/access.html

$300+, but has a trial version too.

ed
yakusha
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:03 am    Post subject:

hi,

Now ... if you know someone who has access to Access you could ask to export the data as a Excel file.
Its not the technical solution your were looking for but it's a way to get the data.

greetz,

Operator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject:

BTW, I've tried to access Razz a .mdb file from way back and Finder claimed it to be a Unix exec file Surprised Confused
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Runtime included!

Wow, I sure did kick up a storm with my plaint about Acce$$. And just now, I hear from Kentucky: the CD I wanted to order does contain a "runtime version" which will allow me to read the data (via Windows under Parallels Desktop). That's great news for me personally.

On the other hand, though, it does not invalidate all the posts you guys so generously responded with. Evidently there is some need for access to Acce$$, and y'all have offered up a number of alternatives. Thanks again for your generosity of time and knowledge! Cheers,

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Glad to hear that you will be able to get a free viewer Smile

If I get some downtime I'll probably try out one of those drivers anyway. This Access question keeps coming up sporadically. It's especially frustrating for Mac users in general as there's no good solution on the platform.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
If I get some downtime I'll probably try out one of those drivers anyway. This Access question keeps coming up sporadically. It's especially frustrating for Mac users in general as there's no good solution on the platform.

Yeah, it's a little disheartening to have to write "Well, we have these ideas of things that might/should work, but no one has ever tried them" Sad Razz

Glad to see that the data comes with a viewer, though; it seemed a bit odd even for Microsoft Monoculture to assume that everyone would have Access on their PC, since Access doesn't come with most of the Office varieties. (Of course, a number of Office varieties also ship without PowerPoint, and that hasn't stopped people from assuming everyone has PowerPoint, either, so what do I know. Razz )

Smokey

Operator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
... (Of course, a number of Office varieties also ship without PowerPoint, and that hasn't stopped people from assuming everyone has PowerPoint, either, so what do I know. Razz )...

Hi,
The point of PowerPoint is that you can open a presentation with any recent office suit. At least you can assume it to a certain point, but you have a point about PowerPoint. (Not to make a point about play on words Razz )

greetz,

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1