NeoOffice :: View topic - Calc row and column headers have collapsed
Calc row and column headers have collapsed

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject:

While we are trying to figure out why Mac OS X is killing NeoOffice's grep command, I am curious if maybe you have missed any updates that Apple has released for their Java code.

Can you double-check that you have all Apple system updates installed by selecting the Apple :: Software Update menu? Are there any updates that need installing and, if so, can you install them and rerun Software Update until there are no more Apple system updates to install?

Patrick
waterloobob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject:

Your software is up to date.

Software Update doesn’t have any new software for your computer at this time.
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject:

waterloobob,

Patrick has posted links to a test patch in his last post in Bug 3441. Can you please install the test patch and then repeat the following step?:

pluby wrote:
Can you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Console application and then restart NeoOffice? If the problem appears in NeoOffice, are there any new messages that get added to the Console application window anytime during or after you launch NeoOffice? If so, can you paste any messages that were added to the Console window in this forum topic?

Patrick made some changes so there may be some more messages in the console during startup.

--fran
waterloobob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject:

I downloaded and installed the Intel patch which is appropriate for my iMac.

I didn't notice any error type messages once I started NeoOffice. And the problem persists. Here are the last three lines of the Console output:

4/5/09 9:27:04 AM [0x0-0x11c11c].com.apple.installer[2271] + exit 48
4/5/09 9:27:51 AM qlmanage[3449] Resetting all generators
4/5/09 9:27:51 AM com.apple.launchd[66] (com.apple.quicklook) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject:

Nothing in console messages gives an indication of the problem.

I wonder if the previous problem corrupted something in your NeoOffice preferences . To test this theory can you try the following steps and tell us if there is any change?:

1. Quit all running versions of NeoOffice

2. Move the following folders to the Desktop or Trash if they exist. Note that "~" means your Home folder:

~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2
~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.x

3. Restart NeoOffice.

This will cause NeoOffice to create a new user preference folder.
Does that make a difference?

--fran
waterloobob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject:

Did that. Unfortunately nothing was resolved when I restarted.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject:

waterloobob wrote:
Did that. Unfortunately nothing was resolved when I restarted.

So nothing has worked so far other than removing all volumes for Spotlight's search list, right? Since I am running out of theories as to what is causing this, can you try temporarily removing all volumes for Spotlight's search list again and tell us if that trick still works? Or does that trick no longer work either?

Patrick
waterloobob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Quit NeoOffice and disabled Spotlight. Once again Spreadsheet had its headers restored. The trick worked.

Enabled Spotlight and the headers were still fine. I even quit NeoOffice and restarted it and the Spreadsheet headers were fine.

About half an hour later I quit and restarted Spotlight again to see if everything was still ok and the headers had collapsed once again.

During all of this I didn't start any new applications. I answered a few emails and Googled some stuff but that was it.

If you wish we could just put this on the back burner and should you find a fix down the road I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject:

waterloobob wrote:
About half an hour later I quit and restarted Spotlight again to see if everything was still ok and the headers had collapsed once again.

Here's my theory of what is happening: Apple's Spotlight service is working through the files on your disk when, after running for some time, it encounters a certain type of file for which Spotlight has not yet loaded a Spotlight plugin. So, Spotlight loads the matching plugin and that plugin does something that hogs certain system resources that NeoOffice needs to run correctly.

Then, when you remove all of the volumes from Spotlight's search list, Spotlight unloads all of the loaded plugins and this frees enough system resources for NeoOffice to run correctly.

The "fix" for this is to disable the one Spotlight plugin that is hogging all of the system resources so the Spotlight will use the other plugins installed which, hopefully, don't hog system resources.

The difficult part is determining which Spotlight plugin is the resource hog as most plugins are benign.

Do any other NeoOffice volunteers have any ideas as to how to log which Spotlight plugins are getting loaded by the Spotlight service?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
The difficult part is determining which Spotlight plugin is the resource hog as most plugins are benign.

Do any other NeoOffice volunteers have any ideas as to how to log which Spotlight plugins are getting loaded by the Spotlight service?

Code:
mdimport -L
will get you all loaded importers.

There are also -p and -V options that might be useful in this situation, if you were to go through the importers one by one and force them to reimport all of their owned files, e.g.
Code:
mdimport -pVr path/to/a/single.importer

Code:
man mdimport
(or ping Ed) to see if you think anything else makes sense to try (repeat for mdutil, mdls, and so forth, but the only useful debugging for this seemed like it was only available from mdimport).

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject:

waterloobob,

Can you launch the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application, copy the following command into the Terminal window, press the Return key, and paste the output into this forum topic?:

Code:
mdimport -L

After you do that, can you run NeoOffice and when the collapsed columns problem reoccurs, repeat the above steps?

I am hoping that there will be something different in the second output that we can then investigate.

Patrick
waterloobob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Initial:
Last login: Tue Apr 7 11:47:35 on console
[X-X-Computer:~] bob% mdimport -L
2009-04-07 15:12:04.752 mdimport[491:807] Paths: id(501) (
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Audio.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Chat.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/QuickTime.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Font.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/RichText.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Image.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Archives.mdimporter",
"/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/neolight.mdimporter",
"/Applications/RealPlayer.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/RealMedia Metadata Importer.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/Pages.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/MIDI.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/AppleWorks.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/PS.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Application.mdimporter",
"/Applications/Google Earth.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Google Earth.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/iWeb.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/Keynote.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Automator.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/QuartzComposer.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/PDF.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/iMovie.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/GBSpotlightImporter.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/vCard.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Bookmarks.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Mail.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/iCal.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/Numbers.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/iPhoto.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/SystemPrefs.mdimporter"
)
[X-X-Computer:~] bob%

After opening NeoOffice (note - it opened with collapsed headers. I'm wondering if I should have done the Spotlight trick first, then run the Terminal command, then wait for the headers to collapse and finally repeat the terminal command?)

Last login: Tue Apr 7 15:14:20 on ttys000
[X-X-Computer:~] bob% mdimport -L
2009-04-07 15:14:50.730 mdimport[554:807] Paths: id(501) (
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Audio.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Chat.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/QuickTime.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/Microsoft Office.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Font.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/RichText.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Image.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Archives.mdimporter",
"/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/neolight.mdimporter",
"/Applications/RealPlayer.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/RealMedia Metadata Importer.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/Pages.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/MIDI.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/AppleWorks.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/PS.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Application.mdimporter",
"/Applications/Google Earth.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Google Earth.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/iWeb.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/Keynote.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Automator.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/QuartzComposer.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/PDF.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/iMovie.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/GBSpotlightImporter.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/vCard.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Bookmarks.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/Mail.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/iCal.mdimporter",
"/Library/Spotlight/Numbers.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/iPhoto.mdimporter",
"/System/Library/Spotlight/SystemPrefs.mdimporter"
)
[X-C-Computer:~] bob%
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Both your "before" and "after" output are identical so that does not tell us much. However, the output is still useful as I was able to compare your output to the output from my machine and, from the comparison, I was able to identify the following 5 custom Spotlight plugins that are installed on your machine that are not bundled with Mac OS X:

/Applications/Google Earth.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/Google Earth.mdimporter
/Applications/RealPlayer.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/RealMedia Metadata Importer.mdimporter
/Library/Spotlight/GBSpotlightImporter.mdimporter
/Library/Spotlight/iMovie.mdimporter
/Library/Spotlight/iWeb.mdimporter

Now the tedious part begins. You will need to disable one of the above Spotlight plugins and then wait to see if the problem reappears. If it reappears, then repeat the steps with the next plugin until you either work through the above list or the problem stops reappearing.

To disable a Spotlight plugin, double-click on the main volume icon on your Desktop and in the Finder window that appears, navigate down into a plugin's folder (Applications for the first two plugins and Library for the rest) until you get down into the subfolder that has the plugin's *.mdimporter folder. Move that folder (not copy it) to your Desktop and reboot. You must reboot otherwise the plugin will remain loaded in memory.

Can you tell us if disabling any of the above plugins stops the problem from occurring? If so, which one was the last one your disabled?

Patrick
waterloobob
Sentinel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Took me a bit to remember Contents is a Control-click operation.

Disabled all five, one by one, and restarted each time one was dragged to the Desktop.

Unfortunately nothing has changed.

If you think one of the Spotlight plug-ins is the culprit I don't mind going through all of them. It just won't happen right away.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject:

waterloobob wrote:
If you think one of the Spotlight plug-ins is the culprit I don't mind going through all of them. It just won't happen right away.

Before we resort to that, can you try disabling NeoOffice's Spotlight plugin? I realized that I had not included our own plugin in the list so it would be good to make sure that our plugin is not the cause of this problem.

NeoOffice's Spotlight plugin is in the following folder:

/Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight/neolight.mdimporter

Does the collapsing columns problem still occur after disabling our plugin?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7