Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Any timeline for Aqua port?
Any timeline for Aqua port?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wadel1
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Any timeline for Aqua port?

I really want to say great job for all the work with OpenOffice X11 I use it everyday for personal and business! Really an excellent Job!!!

I was wondering if there is anyway that it would be possible to post some timeframe for a native OSX port of OOo?

Great job guys...Would it be possible to setup some method that users could donate to support your efforts? or even have some shirts that could be purchased to support your effort.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject:

Well, here's the best timeline I can give...

No Aqua porting work is occurring within the OpenOffice.org project itself at this point in time. The overall engineering team of OpenOffice.org has denied us permission to change the large portions of the 1.1 code that we need to execute an Aqua port. Essentially, any Aqua porting work of OpenOffice.org itself is postponed to 2.0, and 2.0 hasn't even been written yet. The expected timeline for a 2.0 release on other platforms is 1.5 years, and since we can't start the Aqua port until after that code's started to be written, it'll probably take longer.

Patrick can give a better assessment of the NeoOffice/J project, but it's definitley getting real good Smile Patrick...any thoughts? It's not got the blue buttons, but it's running native and doesn't need X11, and has access to native fonts, and Asian fonts (which OOo X11 can't).

As to regular Neo, it is where 1.x based Aqua porting will be occurring. I'm hoping to get it to a useful state (e.g. alpha quality) by January, but it may require 10.3 or higher. 10.3 introduces a lot of API support that we really need to do the port properly, some of the APIs that didn't make the cut for 10.2. Unfortunately right now we're blocked on some issues in 10.3 that will hopefully be fixed. 10.3 also offers some new wonderful Unicode features and all other kinds of stuff that we definitely want to take advantage of Smile

If you're a developer not yet convinced of why Neo's targeting 10.3, I highly recommend watching the Cocoa Update session from WWDC that's available on ADC TV. It just scratches the surface of the amazing stuff in there for apps and developers. Anyone that has an online ADC account

http://developer.apple.com

can view the session. It doesn't go into the low-level APIs that are really key things missing in 10.2 CoreGraphics, but is kind of fun.

If you're not a developer but want to get convinced of why we're targeting 10.3 (or get a taste of the WWDC experience), you can check out the State of the Union session or try to find a copy of Steve's keynote lying around on the web Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1