Removing Java from windows, menus, and printing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
The patch seems to help; text seems sharper again. (Switching the color profile, before applying the patch, didn't have any effect.)

That is good news. Clearing the background of the window before copying the CGLayer to the window is an easy, safe fix. I think we are now getting stable enough to push this code out as a Beta release next week.

sardisson wrote:
I've found another (ridiculous Wink ) bug, though:

1) With a document open, choose "About NeoOffice"
2) Try to click on the document without closing the "About NeoOffice" window
3) Repeat step 2 a couple of times

This also occurs in all versions of NeoOffice but not my Go-oo 3.1.1.1 build so I suspect that it is caused by our custom "redraw native controls as disabled" when a window loses focus.

In the case of the About dialog, focus is lost for a moment when you click in another window and focus is then forced back to that dialog. In NeoOffice, that causes 2 redrawings of any native controls in the dialog whereas in OpenOffice.org no redrawings reoccur.

I am doing backups now but I'll try to remember to test my assumption tomorrow.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I think that ovvldc's problem is the same as the blurry text problem that sardisson reported. I think this is the case because when I zoomed into bothof ovvldc's screen snapshots, they were identical pixel by pixel even though ovvldc reported seeing differences on his screen.

That is funny, because I could see the difference between the screenshots even in preview later. I'll test the patch tonight.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
That is funny, because I could see the difference between the screenshots even in preview later. I'll test the patch tonight.

I now feel blind. I now see the thicker text in the word "Americano" and it is very obvious. I must have been looking only at the next bullet when I zoomed in.

Anyway, with the latest test patch I cannot get that word to thicken up when I copy and paste it back in so let me know if you still see the thicker text problem appear with the latest test patch.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
In the case of the About dialog, focus is lost for a moment when you click in another window and focus is then forced back to that dialog. In NeoOffice, that causes 2 redrawings of any native controls in the dialog whereas in OpenOffice.org no redrawings reoccur.

I have found the cause of this and like I suspected it is caused by our custom "redraw native controls as disabled" when a window loses focus. So, to fix this bug, I change our code to just mark the whole window as needing repainting instead of just marking the buttons and other controls as needing repainting when focus is lost or gained. It doesn't seem to affect performance so hopefully it is a safe change.

Can both install the following test patch and tell us if this fixes the bug for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-6-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject:

I could re-create the bolding about screen in OS 10.7 and can confirm that it has gone in Patch 6 Test 3, but I've found another odd bug.

If you open the the "About" window with no other open documents, then it has an OS X 10.7 full screen double arrow in the top right corner. Clicking this slides the "About" window in to the middle of a dark grey background.

Now none of the buttons on the window work, neither 'OK' nor the red close button. You can get back to normal by moving the mouse to the top of the screen and selecting the blue double arrows in the top right of the menu bar, which does the right thing, or you can press escape which closes the "About" window but leaves the dark background and no obvious means of getting back to the normal screen (except 2 finger swipe). This blank full screen remains until you quit NeoOffice.

Which is a rather long winded way of saying, the "About" window should never have a full screen icon in its title bar!

Secondly, I've discovered that when in full screen mode selecting File->New->Text Document creates a new window over the full screen document. Doing File->New Window in full screen Safari does the same thing, but then immediately makes the new window full screen also. Not doing this rather breaks the meaning of full screen mode.

Thirdly, after selecting File->New->Text Document the File menu remains highlighted.

I really wish I'd never click the full screen button, what a horrible world it takes you in to!

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Which is a rather long winded way of saying, the "About" window should never have a full screen icon in its title bar!

You are correct. That window should not have a full screen icon. I found the source of this bug and I have fixed the bug in the following test patch:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-6-Test-4-Intel.dmg

amayze wrote:
Secondly, I've discovered that when in full screen mode selecting File->New->Text Document creates a new window over the full screen document. Doing File->New Window in full screen Safari does the same thing, but then immediately makes the new window full screen also. Not doing this rather breaks the meaning of full screen mode.

While that would be a nice feature, that should go in the New Feature Requests forum and if it gets enough votes from other users, we will implement it when we have time.

Right now, our sole priority is getting the "de-Javafied" code to work the same as the old Java-based code. Apple's recent system updates are breaking Java for about 1% of Mac users and Mac OS X 10.8 is coming out in a month with Gatekeeper so realistically, NeoOffice 3.3 Beta may be their only option especially since Gatekeeper's default settings won't allow OpenOffice.org or LibreOffice to run.

amayze wrote:
Thirdly, after selecting File->New->Text Document the File menu remains highlighted.

I cannot reproduce this on my Mac OS X 10.7.4 machine and, unfortunately, Mac OS X has no function to call that will tell us if it safe to change menus in the menubar. We avoid changing menus when you are tracking the menu with the menubar or when a key shortcut event is being dispatched, but outside of that I have no way to determine if Mac OS X has redrawn the menubar.

Essentially, starting with Mac OS X 10.6, Apple seems to have "optimized" menubar redrawning and those optimizations basically assume that applications have a static, unchanging menubar. Unfortunately, NeoOffice has different menubar menus for each document window so at best we can only minimize this behavior.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
You are correct. That window should not have a full screen icon. I found the source of this bug and I have fixed the bug in the following test patch:

That fixes it for me.

pluby wrote:
While that would be a nice feature, that should go in the New Feature Requests forum and if it gets enough votes from other users, we will implement it when we have time.

Fair enough.

Not sure if this is the same, or counts as a bug, but when in full screen mode closing the window with File->Close leaves the dark grey space belonging to NeoOffice, rather than getting rid of it and returning to a screen with something in it.

Feel free to add this to the afore mentioned new feature if you don't feel its a priority now. Personally I don't use full screen mode and just ended up playing with it by accident today, so it's not a priority for me!

pluby wrote:
amayze wrote:

I cannot reproduce this on my Mac OS X 10.7.4 machine and, unfortunately, Mac OS X has no function to call that will tell us if it safe to change menus in the menubar. We avoid changing menus when you are tracking the menu with the menubar or when a key shortcut event is being dispatched, but outside of that I have no way to determine if Mac OS X has redrawn the menubar.

Not sure I made clear this was when in full screen mode. It's left a few other menus highlighted for me since, but it seems that full screen mode is a bit of a kludge by Apple and a nightmare for NeoOffice, so again not a priority.

Thanks again for the patch.

Andy
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Anyway, with the latest test patch I cannot get that word to thicken up when I copy and paste it back in so let me know if you still see the thicker text problem appear with the latest test patch.

Sorry, the bug is still there. But it is pleasant to know that my guess of something drawn twice was actually right.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
pluby wrote:

Sorry, the bug is still there. But it is pleasant to know that my guess of something drawn twice was actually right.

I wonder if this is a bug in NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code. That is, the OpenOffice.org code is telling NeoOffice to redraw text without drawing a rectangle with the background color first.

The only way I can think to test my theory is to reinstall NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 6 (that is, the Java-based official patch) and see if you can reproduce it with that patch. If you can, then it is likely an OpenOffice.org bug. If you cannot, then it is likely our bug.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject:

I'd like to go back to plain patch 6 and try, but that patch installer refuses to install, even if I first throw the NeoOffice application into the trash and then reinstall. It just says the installed version is already newer Sad..

What has me most puzzled by this bug is that it only happens to part of the text I paste, like one word on one of the lines of text. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense in that way.

My faint memory says this is an older problem, but I'd have to find a way to downgrade to be sure.

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I'd like to go back to plain patch 6 and try, but that patch installer refuses to install, even if I first throw the NeoOffice application into the trash and then reinstall. It just says the installed version is already newer Sad..

Because you'd installed one of the initial "flat-package" test patches before Patrick changed the patch's bundle ID, you'll have to run the Terminal command I mentioned in this post in order to be able to install plain patch 6.

At that point, you should be able to install/reinstall the official patch 6 and the no-Java test patch 6s with impunity Wink

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Smokey's command fixed my problem. I can confirm that this issue happens with Java as well. In fact, it is more prevalent, and it even showed up when I just selected a text box. It also bolded more of the text I pasted..

So the de-javavication is definitely a step in the right direction Smile. I will reinstall the test patch at once Wink.

I have no idea what trigger the remaining bit. Perhaps it matters where the mouse is, redrawing the area close to the pointer or something? I am just guessing wildly here..

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Not sure if this is the same, or counts as a bug, but when in full screen mode closing the window with File->Close leaves the dark grey space belonging to NeoOffice, rather than getting rid of it and returning to a screen with something in it.

This is definitely a bug. I was using the wrong native function to close the window. In the test patch at the end of this post I use the correct function and selecting the File :: Close menu should send you back to the regular screen mode.

amayze wrote:
Not sure I made clear this was when in full screen mode. It's left a few other menus highlighted for me since, but it seems that full screen mode is a bit of a kludge by Apple and a nightmare for NeoOffice, so again not a priority.

While fixing the File :: Close menu bug today, I started running into the menu highlighting bug that you are seeing. In the following test patch, I tried to fix this new menu highlighting bug by saving the timestamp of the last menu item selection either by menu or keyboard shortcut and, then before doing any menu changes, my code delays the menu changes if the timestamp of the last menu item selection occurred less than 250 milliseconds ago.

I don't know if 250 milliseconds is enough time for your machine so let me know if you still see this menu highlighting bug in the test patch:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-6-Test-5-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject:

Great! Patch 6 Test 5 now does the right thing when closing a full screen window, and so far I haven't seen the menu highlight problem. This is on a 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5 iMac running OS X 10.7.4.

Thanks

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Great! Patch 6 Test 5 now does the right thing when closing a full screen window, and so far I haven't seen the menu highlight problem. This is on a 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5 iMac running OS X 10.7.4.

I am glad that you found those full screen bugs because last night I noticed that at some point, either Java or something that it depends on changed and, as a result, when in full screen mode with NeoOffice 3.2.1 or any of the official patches, the document is shifted downward by the standard window titlebar height so that there is an empty space at the top of the screen and the bottom is shifted off the screen.

Thankfully, I think we are ready to get NeoOffice 3.3 Beta out there as it seems the series of recent Java system updates is quickly make Java a not so stable framework for NeoOffice.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12