Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 3.3b2 crash while idle in background
3.3b2 crash while idle in background

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: 3.3b2 crash while idle in background

Today it crashed on me while it was idle in the background with an xls document open. I had just exported it to pdf and was working in another app. I have reopened NeoOffice, and it came up with the document again without any problem.

I have attached the document and the crash log.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the crash log and sample document. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this crash. I tried exporting the document to PDF but that did not trigger the crash.

Are you able to reproduce the crash? The crash log indicates that it is occurring while releasing a Calc note object so can you remember any specific steps that you did immediately before or after exporting the document to PDF?

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject:

The last thing I did before export, was deleting a bunch of rows before the current row 4. The document has Changes enabled so you can fortunately see exactly what I did.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject:

benst wrote:
The last thing I did before export, was deleting a bunch of rows before the current row 4. The document has Changes enabled so you can fortunately see exactly what I did.

I cannot get NeoOffice to crash when I delete a few rows starting at row 4, export to PDF using the toolbar button, and then switch to another application.

I see in the crash log that this crash occurred while a NeoOffice window was closing. Were there other documents open at the time of the crash? Were there any floating windows or dialogs open?

I have a feeling that this bug is not easy to reproduce so any information you can provide that you think might help us find the steps that trigger the crash is much appreciated.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Before you try to reproduce this bug again, can you install the following test patch? While it may not fix the bug that you found, I did make a change in the order that certain menubar events are dispatched to fix a different bug and, possibly, that event dispatch order change may have an effect on the bug that you found:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-1-Intel.dmg

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject:

I tried a few things but couldn't make it crash either. Both without and with your patch.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject:

OK. Since this bug is difficult to reproduce, I would recommend that you keep using the latest test patch and, if another crash occurs, try to note the last steps that you did before the crash and post those steps with the new crash log. At that point, I can resume investigation of the bug.

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Will do, thanks.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I would recommend that you install the following test patch and then, if you encounter the crash again, post the crash log. The following test patch includes fixes for several other bugs and, hopefully, it fixes yours as well. But if not, I will see if the next crash log gives any hints as to what is causing the crashing that you see:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:45 am    Post subject:

Done. Works as expected.

Unrelated to the previous crash but there is one problem I noticed (was also present in the previous version):
If you open NeoOffice you get the normal full menu. (I have it set so it opens no empty document on startup). If you then open a document and close it, you only have the Apple menu and the NeoOffice menu. So no way to open e.g. a recent document.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject:

benst wrote:
If you open NeoOffice you get the normal full menu. (I have it set so it opens no empty document on startup). If you then open a document and close it, you only have the Apple menu and the NeoOffice menu. So no way to open e.g. a recent document.

I cannot reproduce this on my Mac OS X 10.7.4 machine. Is this behavior easily reproducible for you or is it something that does not always occur?

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject:

Very easily reproducible. I'm running 10.7.5 (seed build 11G30), maybe that is related?

- Open NeoOffice
- File -> New -> Text document
- Click close button
- Only the Apple and NeoOffice menus are left.

I also found after this:
- Click NeoOffice -> About
- Click OK button
- Menu is back.

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject:

I cannot reproduce what you see on 10.7.4 but this morning I fixed a problem that was causing problems in NeoOffice's Dock menu so what you are seeing may be a side-effect of those problems.

So, can you install the following test patch and tell us the empty menubar problem still occurs for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-5-Intel.dmg

Patrick
benst
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Patch didn't fix it unfortunately.

This was on my MBP. But I just installed the beta incl. patch on my iMac, and it didn't show the problem there. That Mac also runs 10.7.5 11G30. So it might be something specific to my MBP...

Kind regards,
Ben
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Do you have any NeoOffice windows minimized in the Dock? There is one known case where the menubar becomes empty and that is when you minimize one or more document windows and then close all of the unminimized document windows.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum