Getting document window out of the dock

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Generally its been three empty writer documents. All minimised with no other windows of any sort open.

I cannot reproduce that behavior. Maybe I am using different steps than you?

The steps I used are I launch NeoOffice which opens an empty Writer document. I then press the Command-N keys to open 2 more empty Writer documents. I press the yellow titlebar button in all 3 documents to minimize them all and then click on the NeoOffice Dock icon and one of the Writer documents unminimizes.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject:

Just realised, at work I have NeoOffice::Open at Launch set to -None-. At home it is set to Writer.

With it set to Writer I can replicate your steps and confirm that un-minimising works until you close all the windows and create new ones.

With it set to -None- it doesn't work at all.

Hope that solves the mystery.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
With it set to -None- it doesn't work at all.

Hope that solves the mystery.

Launching with the -None- option creates the 1 x 1 pixel window immediately upon launch so it is the same bug that I am seeing.

I should have a test patch out later today California time so that you can test a fix tomorrow.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed all of the Dock and Window menu bugs and in the following test patch NeoOffice should work as follows:

1. When you launch with the -None- option or close all documents and then open more documents and minimize all of them, clicking on the NeoOffice Dock icon should unminimize one of the documents.

2. When the checked document in the Windows menu is minimized and that menu item is selected, the document is unminimized.

3. When you right-click or Control-click the NeoOffice Dock icon, the open documents are listed in the popup menu.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if there are any remaining unfixed Dock or Windows menu bugs?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-4-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject:

I've installed NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 Patch 0 Test 4

1. Unminimising windows works as expected when launching with the -None- option.

2. This works too.

3. It worked the first time I did it, now there is a slight pause and the menu displays with "Application not responding" where the window names should be. I attach a screen shot. I've quit and relaunched NeoOffice a couple of times but to no avail.

NeoOffice crashed the first time I quit it while I was responding to Discard changes dialogues. I attach the crash log.

Also after cancelling the recovery wizard only the NeoOffice menu is displayed (I still have -None- selected).

Finally with all the windows minimised typing Cmd-N causes a beep but no new window.

Andy.
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:23 am    Post subject:

This is more complicated than I first thought:

The first time I right click on the NeoOffice Dock icon the menu is displayed correctly. After this the following occurs:

I have three writer windows open.

1. Right click on the Dock icon when NeoOffice is the front most application -> Application Not Responding.

2. Right click on the Dock icon when NeoOffice is NOT the front most application AND at least one window is NOT minimised -> Window names displayed in Dock menu.

3. Right click on the Dock icon when NeoOffice is NOT the front most application AND ALL of the windows are minimised to the Dock -> Application Not Responding.

And just to be clear, it is only the Dock menu that thinks the Application is not responding. NeoOffice is still working correctly and neither the Force Quit Applications window (Cmd-Opt-Esc) or Activity Monitor think this is so.

Andy
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject:

4. If I minimise two of my three windows, then close the third using the red blob in the title bar, all the menus, except the NeoOffice menu disappear, but the remaining windows do appear in the Dock menu when I right click the NeoOffice Dock icon.

Andy
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject:

Test patch 3 was still not fixing anything for me for some reason, but now in test patch 4, the windows are popping out of the dock for me.

Thanks, Patrick Smile.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed all of the Dock menu problems that amayze reported in his last post.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if the Dock menu works correctly when you right-click or Control-click on the NeoOffice Dock icon? Also, does the crash that you found still occur with the following test patch?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-5-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject:

I've installed NeoOffice 3.3 Beta 2 Patch 0 Test 5

It fixes 1 and 3 in my post above, but not 4 in my follow up.

A new problem has arisen though:

- Create three new windows and minimise them
- In the Window menu select one of the windows that does not have the tick next to it.
- Both the window you select and the window with the tick are un-minimised.

This problem does not occur if I use the Dock menu to select the window to un-minimise instead.

Also the Cmd-N not working issue is fixed with the side effect that as well as the new window opening, the ticked window in the Window menu also un-minimises.

I have a feeling that the crash I reported earlier is something to do with autosave occurring at the exact same time as I responded to the unsaved changes dialogue when closing the window.

With Test 5 I've had a couple of crashes when zooming windows, but I'm struggling to reproduce them. On one occasion the Window menu included an entry for a window I'd already closed, which was only remedied after a quit and relaunch.

If I can find steps to reproduce the crashes I'll post them along with the relevant crash logs.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
It fixes 1 and 3 in my post above, but not 4 in my follow up.

Sorry about that. I forgot about 4 as fixing 1 and 3 absorbed all my attention. I will investigate this further.

amayze wrote:
- Create three new windows and minimise them
- In the Window menu select one of the windows that does not have the tick next to it.
- Both the window you select and the window with the tick are un-minimised.

This is caused by the fix I put in for when you click on the checked document in the Windows menu. I think I will need to fix that bug using a different approach given the side-effects of the current fix that you see.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject:

I think that I have fixed both the "number 4" issue that amayze described above as well as the new issue reported in amayze's last post.

Can you install the following test patch and tell us if both minimization issues are fixed? Also, if you still see crashes, please post any crash logs even if you cannot reproduce the crash:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.3_Beta_2-Patch-0-Test-6-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject:

I've installed NeoOffice 3.3 Beta Patch 0 Test 6.

All the previous problems now seem to be resolved with the exception of Cmd-N not working when all windows are minimised.

It crashed when it launched at the end of installing the patch. It was trying to open a previously open document (a spreadsheet as it happens) and I pressed Cmd-N at the same time. Crash log attached.

Andy
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
All the previous problems now seem to be resolved with the exception of Cmd-N not working when all windows are minimised.

I am not seeing any problem with the Command-N key when I minimize all documents. Just to make sure that I am using the same steps as you, I am doing the following steps:

1. Launch NeoOffice and an empty Writer document is opened

2. Press Command-N twice to create 2 new empty Writer documents

3. Minimize all 3 documents by pressing the yellow titlebar button in each document

4. Press Command-N and a fourth empty Writer document opens

amayze wrote:
It crashed when it launched at the end of installing the patch. It was trying to open a previously open document (a spreadsheet as it happens) and I pressed Cmd-N at the same time. Crash log attached.

The crashing is occurring in Mac OS X's native menu handling functions so most likely our code is holding onto memory that has already been destroyed. I will review our native menu management code to see if I can identify any such cases.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
The crashing is occurring in Mac OS X's native menu handling functions so most likely our code is holding onto memory that has already been destroyed. I will review our native menu management code to see if I can identify any such cases.

I noticed that the crashing function is called by some Mac OS X accessibility functions. Do you have any accessiblity features enabled in the System Preference's Universal Access panel? If so, can you tell us if the "Enable access for assistive devices" or "Show Universal Access status in the menu bar" checkboxes are checked?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Beta Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum