Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Mac OS X dictionary not listed in Preferences
Mac OS X dictionary not listed in Preferences

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Mac OS X dictionary not listed in Preferences

I'm currently trying to learn Scots Gaelic, so I downloaded the Mac OS X spelling dictionary (gd_spello.dmg) from this website: http://www.sealgar.co.uk/spell.jsp

As NeoOffice supports Mac OS X spellchecker I didn't download the OpenOffice dictionary (gd_GB.oxt) that is further down the page.

I installed the new dictionary from the downloaded image and added it to my list of languages in System Preferences, in second place after British English. However it does not appear in the list of languages in Options::Language Settings::Languages.

Here are some steps to reproduce the problem:

1. Open NeoOffice and type some Gaelic text (Tha mi a' feuraich ann an Dùn Èidinn.) in a writer window.
2. Select the text and choose Tools::Language::For Selection::More...
3. The Character window opens to the Font tab, choose Gaelic (Scotland) from the Language menu in the middle of the window. (See screen shot)

So far so good, the text is correctly spelled so no red lines now.

4. Now to make Gaelic the language for the whole document, choose Tools::Language::For all Text.
5. Gaelic (Scotland) now appears on this menu, but I wanted to make sure I didn't change it for all new documents, so choose More...
6. The Options::Language Settings::Languages window opens.
7. In the middle of this window is the setting for Default language for documents. The setting for Western was English (UK) as expected.
8. Click on the menu and the list of languages pops up, however Gaelic (Scotland) does not appear on it. (See screen shot)
9. Click Cancel
10 Go back to Tools::Language::For all Text and select Gaelic (Scotland) from the menu.
11. Then select Tools::Language::For all Text::More.. again.
12. The Options window opens again and now the default language for Western languages is blank. (See screen shot).

Despite the absence from the list the language for the document is correctly set to Gaelic (Scotland) using the Tools menu.

I realise there is an important milestone coming with Apple's impending release of OS X 10.9, so please put this low down your list. it is a (very) minor issue for me. I only raise it for completeness.

Andy

Side note:
A second issue I discovered is that if you have previously chosen a different tab in the Character window (Format::Character…) then choosing More… from either Tools::Languages::For Selection or For Paragraph opens the Character window but does not switch to the Font tab where the language setting is. However this is also the case in LibreOffice 4 so would appear to by an issue with the OpenOffice code, not NeoOffice.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Mac OS X dictionary not listed in Preferences

amayze wrote:
I installed the new dictionary from the downloaded image and added it to my list of languages in System Preferences, in second place after British English. However it does not appear in the list of languages in Options::Language Settings::Languages.

You don't see it in the Options dialog's list because NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code only shows languages that it has a full set of language services for whereas the language list in the Character dialog shows both supported languages and unsupported languages that have a spellchecker.

amayze wrote:
10 Go back to Tools::Language::For all Text and select Gaelic (Scotland) from the menu.
11. Then select Tools::Language::For all Text::More.. again.
12. The Options window opens again and now the default language for Western languages is blank. (See screen shot).

What you see is normal. Notice that when you do the above, the "Current document only" checkbox in the "Default languages for documents" is checked. It is checked because when you using the Tools :: Language :: For all Text :: More menu, the OpenOffice.org code sets the selected language in the Options dialog to the language at your document's cursor and, to protect against making that language the default for all new documents, that checkbox is checked.

Displaying a blank selected entry is the OpenOffice.org code's way of saying your current document's cursor is set to a language that is not in the set of fully supported languages.

I am not sure that there is a better way to handle this. The fact that the OpenOffice.org engineers excluded spellcheck-only languages from the language lists in the Options dialog makes me think that that would, at the very least, cause unexpected formatting of numbers, dates, and/or currency if an unsupported language was applied when the "Current document only" checkbox is unchecked.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Andy, maybe you could copy over the missing bits from the UK English files. Maybe something needs to be changed in them to make them appear as Gaelic, and the grammar checker would be way off, but at least you'd have recognisable interface and formatting.

Of course, that would be a very dirty hack Wink.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Andy, maybe you could copy over the missing bits from the UK English files. Maybe something needs to be changed in them to make them appear as Gaelic, and the grammar checker would be way off, but at least you'd have recognisable interface and formatting.

That won't work. I looked at the OpenOffice.org code before I posted.

Certain things such as spellchecking, hyphenation, etc. are extensible and certain things such as parsing numeric, date, and currency input are not and are limited to a fixed list if languages implemented internally. It is that fixed list that is displayed in the Options dialog's listboxes.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mac OS X dictionary not listed in Preferences

amayze wrote:
Side note:
A second issue I discovered is that if you have previously chosen a different tab in the Character window (Format::Character…) then choosing More… from either Tools::Languages::For Selection or For Paragraph opens the Character window but does not switch to the Font tab where the language setting is. However this is also the case in LibreOffice 4 so would appear to by an issue with the OpenOffice code, not NeoOffice.

I looked at the OpenOffice.org code for those two menus and, basically, those two menus have the same actions as the Format :: Character and Format :: Paragraph menus which are "open character dialog" and "open paragraph dialog" respectively.

The menus do not have any data attached to their actions that indicates that they want the dialogs to set which tab is selected so I looked at the OpenOffice.org code for those two dialogs. Unfortunately, implementing the behavior you expect is not trivial. I found both dialogs do not expose any means to receive requests for which tab to select and, instead, the code always sets the selected tab to the last selected tab stored in the user preference files or the first tab if the dialog is being shown for the first time.

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject:

Patrick,

Thanks for taking the time to investigate these issues and to explain them so clearly.

It does seem that there were quite a few odd, or at least not obvious, design decisions made in the early days of OpedOffice. But as with so many things, to fix them now would require far too much work. To quote an apocryphal Irish answer to the question "Do you know the way to Dublin?" - "Ah yes, but I wouldn't be starting from here!"

Cheers,

Andy.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
It does seem that there were quite a few odd, or at least not obvious, design decisions made in the early days of OpedOffice.

It could be worse. It could be MS Word.

amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject:

I've now installed NeoOffice 3.4 and I no longer see the little "ab" icon next to Gaelic (Scotland) in the Character and Paragraph dialogues? It is still listed in the Languages tab of System Preferences (in second place below British English), but NeoOffice doesn't seem to be loading the dictionary anymore.

I'll try installing the gd_GB.oxt file from here http://www.sealgar.co.uk/spell.jsp for now, as I need to get some work done!

Cheers,

Andy
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Panic over!!

I quit NeoOffice and re-launched it and the "ab" icon has re-appeared and so have lots of little wiggly red lines!!! Smile

Andy
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1