· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - autotext bug?
autotext bug?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: autotext bug?

i never used autotext, so i do not know if i'm missing something, or it is a bug:
- i select a sentence in write
- i click on autotext icon
- i choose a name
- i click autotext button
- i choose NEW
- i got an 'autotext could not be created' error

Is it right, or is it bug?

f.
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject:

I tried this, and get the same problem. In my case, Neo is trying to write the new autotext to /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/share/autotext/english/standard.bau. This file is inside the Neo/J bundle, and is owned by system, and cannot be changed, so you get an error.

There is also a folder ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/autotext/
which contains folders for autotext entries in each language. These folders are writable, and if you click the paths button in the autotext dialog, you will see that Neo knows about this path. If you edit the path to point at a subfolder for a particular language, a new category will show up in the Autotext dialog. Select this, and add your new entry. Alternatively, click the category button, and create a new category in ...../user/autotext, and use that.

If you are the only user of Neo on your machine, creating your own autotext entries as above is fine. If you want shared editable categories, you need to make a writable-by-all folder somewhere, and add it to the list of paths used for autotext. You ay also need to make the resulting .bau files writable by all.

Luke
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject:

Yes, thank you, the workaround... works!

I suggest pluby to change something about this problem (another default folder for autotext?). Actually a 'normal' user, following Oo manual or the neooffice help, got the 'autotext could not be created' error without understand where the wrong is.

f.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject:

Ah, the problems caused by relatively secure installations Wink

I wrote the OOo installers as well (ha) and in general my workaround was to make everything world-readable and world-writable that I could. That's really an unsecure way to make the installation, however. I think Patrick's approach of making everything world-readable only is the proper one for a multi-user machine.

What we may be able to do, however, is to edit the default configuration files to reverse the path ordering. For your workaround, did you do a permissions change or did you reorder the paths in a NeoJ settings dialog to get it to write to your user directory instead? It makes sense to me that it should be writing to the per-user config by default and not attempting to modify the global install.

ed
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject:

I create a new category, and I choose the /user/autotext folder
I think it could be a good idea write "to the per-user config by default", as you says.

f.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject:

Filed in BZ as Issue 442.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1