Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Possible applet version?
Possible applet version?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbwhy
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Possible applet version?

First, just wanted to say that I love NeoOffice and that it has been a great help to me getting started with my freelance work when I was unable to spend lots of money on office software and every penny counts..

Now, for my request...

I have lately been looking for a web-site embeddable rich text editor in java applet form.. So far I have found nothing suitable and nothing open-source..

javascript items I have seen are still buggy and have trouble with the

And then I was wondering.. Is it possible to stip the word processor in NeoOffice waaaay down into something that might run in an applet and save files to a web server?

Of course, this would have to be cross-platform and not just Mac..

I imagine at first this would be an element of a content server and would have style restrictions, saving files in html or xml to conform to stylesheets established by the site admin or designer...

Also, one could easily imagine that this would also give a choice to save in .sxw or .doc for writing collaboration?..

Also, such a thing would have to override the browser's shortcut keys..

If I was to attempt such a thing.. could someone perhaps guide me to just the parts of the program that would be necessary to such a task?..

I am willing to try although my JAVA is newbie at best.. but hoping someone might give me a direction in which to start?

Thanks!

Robert
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject:

The short answer is no. The long answer is that NeoJ isn't actually Java...only about 1-2% of it is Java. The rest is all C/C++, making it impossible to compile into a pure Java applet.

There's something called the OfficeBean that can allow you to begin embedding OOo components inside of other applications. It requires the full OOo install, though, and isn't supported on OS X anyhow Sad

ed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: thanks for quick reply

Hey OpenStep,

Thanks for the info.. I guess it all seemed too easy..I misunderstood the nature of NeoOffice.... 1-2% java.. economy of effort indeed.

Still, I wonder how hard to really cut the program down to just the very basic rich text writing features and rewrite as java.. So, maybe someone has a sense of how much work that would be.. I will take another look around the web, maybe find another java language word processor out there... but if anyone has a thought or two to add, please do

As for OfficeBean, hmmm.. that definitely looks like something for an IT department to use.

Thanks again...
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject:

so i checked yesterday on Sourceforge (which is like nerd candy) and found a few RTF editors for the web. seems it would be easier to have those translate into SXW than anything else.

OO.o is a bear. big bear. 'stripping' or 'moving', or etc, rhymes with 're-write the whole damn thing'

unfortunatly.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
OO.o is a bear. big bear.

AHAHA had visions of John Candy in "The Great Outdoors".

ed <--- wonders why he can't get chicks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
OO.o is a bear. big bear.

Baloo.o? aah...

- yoxi
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1