· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Launched but can't create NEW>
Launched but can't create NEW>

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnubie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Launched but can't create NEW>

I installed open office. After double clicking Start OpenOffice x11 opens and all is well. The splash screen appears. When I go to FILE > NEW > (any of 4 document types) an information screen saying "Please Wait" blinks 3 times and disappears, but nothing happens.

-Mike
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Launched but can't create NEW>

Gnubie wrote:
I installed open office. After double clicking Start OpenOffice x11 opens and all is well. The splash screen appears. When I go to FILE > NEW > (any of 4 document types) an information screen saying "Please Wait" blinks 3 times and disappears, but nothing happens.

-Mike

Something bad has happened (but the fact the splash screen appeared is somewhat a good sign - are you able to use OpenOffice.org at all?).

Normally if OpenOffice.org or your X11 Window system crashes, "Start OpenOffice.org" will report the error to you (usually after a 30 sec delay).

Looks like you will have to do some searching for the cause of the problem - I suggest you provide more details of your hardware/software configuration, and read the "Start OpenOffice.org" documentation for troubleshooting tips.

In most cases these types of problems can be solved quickly, if more information is provided.

Regards, Terry
[ author of "Start OpenOffice.org" ]
Gnubie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Something bad has happened (but the fact the splash screen appeared is somewhat a good sign - are you able to use OpenOffice.org at all?).

Software seems operational but unable to create documents.. I am able to use the File menu to create a new document. It appears to be unable to either create the new document or open a new window for it (hence the triple please wait message under information window). I have the delay but no crash or crash report. It just won't create any documents.

Quote:
Looks like you will have to do some searching for the cause of the problem - I suggest you provide more details of your hardware/software configuration, and read the "Start OpenOffice.org" documentation for troubleshooting tips.

I have looked through OpenOffice.org and trinity FAQs and troubleshooting tips and have yet to locate others who share similar symptoms, but then again I am a gnubie.
My specs are:
Mac OS X v10.3.7
X11
iBook 500Mhz G3
384MB

Thanks.
-Mike
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Problems creating new documents

Gnubie wrote:

Software seems operational but unable to create documents.. I am able to use the File menu to create a new document. It appears to be unable to either create the new document or open a new window for it (hence the triple please wait message under information window). I have the delay but no crash or crash report. It just won't create any documents.

Just so we are clear, "Start OpenOffice.org" is really just a convenience method for doing things directly in OpenOffice.org itself - please confirm that OpenOffice.org itself is running, and that you are able to do some things in OpenOffice.org, except create New documents (in fact, quit "Start OpenOffice.org" after you have initially double-clicked the application, just to be sure).

Gnubie wrote:
My specs are:
Mac OS X v10.3.7
X11
iBook 500Mhz G3
384MB

Thanks.
-Mike

I know that is at the low end of the usability scale - I assume there is enough free disk space on your boot volume. "Start OpenOffice.org" has timeouts of approx. 30 secs, and strange things may happen if launching X11 or OpenOffice.org or other parts of the software do in fact take longer than 30 secs (compared to them not launching at all within 30 secs).

I would definitely double check using the Console application, for any relevant error messages in the console.log, and any CrashReporter logs (typically for "soffice.bin") that you can find in /Library/Logs/CrashReporter or ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter.

The more information the better - anything unique (or changed recently) in your environment?

Do you have FileVault turned on?

Regards, Terry
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1