NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 1.2 final coming soon
NeoOffice 1.2 final coming soon

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

Yes, James, I know. I also read every post on dev@porting and mac@porting so I am still in the loop even if I do not post nearly as often as you Wink.

True. I agree that knowledge is power. See my next comment...

ovvldc wrote:

But this is stuff that the end users visiting VersionTracker should hear about. Never mind where it came from, these are (IMHO) important improvements and notes.

Oscar:

This is true. There are major issues with VT and NeoOffice/OpenOffice.org. It appears as if those folks have a vendetta against them. I think that the individuals in charge of keeping this information current are either:

1. Failing to do so.
2. Being ignored by VT. (and the second is very likely.)

In any case, end users don't have the time to visit hundreds of web sites to find out if the site they routinely visit is telling the whole story. We need to stay on top of the situation, and if necessary, give them a good thwacking every once in a while (if you don't know what a thwacking is, it is a well placed open-handed strike against the side of the head.)

And to keep this in check, Patrick speaks of 1.2 Final this week. I hope so.

James
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
This is true. There are major issues with VT and NeoOffice/OpenOffice.org. It appears as if those folks have a vendetta against them. I think that the individuals in charge of keeping this information current are either:

1. Failing to do so.
2. Being ignored by VT. (and the second is very likely.)

In any case, end users don't have the time to visit hundreds of web sites to find out if the site they routinely visit is telling the whole story. We need to stay on top of the situation, and if necessary, give them a good thwacking every once in a while (if you don't know what a thwacking is, it is a well placed open-handed strike against the side of the head.)

James

Do my memories fail so much? As far as I remember Neo 1.1 was in the top list of VT for a while.
T.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:

I wouldn't call a vendetta so quickly. It takes them a while to process things. Probably happens with every item not listed in strong.

jjmckenzie51 wrote:

I just had one of my bi-weekly kung-fu training sessions, so I definetely see where you are coming from <EG>. Last time Smokey was very much on top of it. I hope this time, he does just as well, and finds some people to coordinate with and share the load.

jjmckenzie51 wrote:

<warm fuzzy feeling>
Yay!
</warm fuzzy feeling>

best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:

I got lost in the last part of this thread....

Anyway, regarding my last post, the "problem" is the "What's changed since Beta" list; we've already covered acessibility, Java 1.4.2, etc., in the 1.2 Alpha release.

Unlike each new iteration on the road to 1.1 which saw a few major changes and had three months of work, everything since 1.2 Alpha has been mostly minor polishing of the work that led to 1.2 Alpha--and has happened relatively quickly Smile Not that it's a bad thing, it's just there's less new-and-different stuff to stress in 1.2 Final Wink

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Anyway, regarding my last post, the "problem" is the "What's changed since Beta" list; we've already covered acessibility, Java 1.4.2, etc., in the 1.2 Alpha release.

But isn't that the point? From final Beta to Release there should be no changes!

From the public's point of view (public being those who don't like running Alpha or Beta software) the changes highlighted should be those between Neo/J 1.1 and Neo 1.2, ie. accessibility, Java 1.4.2, etc.

Just my 2p worth.

Andy.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
But isn't that the point? From final Beta to Release there should be no changes!

Changes can and will take place between the Final Beta to the Release as more people use the program, but they should only be those that actually break functionality. A good example of what should not be done with a release is color changes....

amayze wrote:
From the public's point of view (public being those who don't like running Alpha or Beta software) the changes highlighted should be those between Neo/J 1.1 and Neo 1.2, ie. accessibility, Java 1.4.2, etc.

This should be in a Changlog. This can be included with the program, but not in the installer process.

At this point, I'm waiting for Patrick to release the Final unless there are any showstopper.

James
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:

jjmckenzie51 wrote:
amayze wrote:

This should be in a Changlog. This can be included with the program, but not in the installer process.

?? What does that have to do with the public advertisement on listings sites?

FWIW, I agree with Andy. The last stable release was 1.1 and this one has the differences mentioned earlier. Perhaps you could do a list of what has changed since the first beta (faster menus, better garbage collection -> less memory) but that shouldn't be the main focus.

Also, if we compare to 1.1 we can get much more mileage and bigger claims. Useful, from a marketing perspective.

-Oz

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Also, if we compare to 1.1 we can get much more mileage and bigger claims. Useful, from a marketing perspective.

I took this approach in my www.planamesa.com/neojava web pages. Based on how we had a huge number of downloads of NeoOffice/J 1.1 from people who had not used the Alpha, Beta, etc. releases, I think a comparison to the last major release is more useful. After all, the only real changes between Alpha, Beta, and the final NeoOffice 1.2 releases were bug fixes.

If the NeoOffice/J 1.1 release is any indicator, the number of NeoOffice 1.2 final downloads will be nearly an order of magnitude larger than the Alpha or Beta releases which means that most downloaders are new to NeoOffice or have been using NeoOffice/J 1.1.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject:

FYI. NeoOffice 1.2 is now out: http://trinity.neooffice.org/.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. NeoOffice 1.2 is now out: http://trinity.neooffice.org/.

Congratulations! And only four weeks after beta. That is good solid programming. You make the FOSS movement proud Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

<chuckles/>

I always find it ironic whenever the word "marketing" comes up with something that is free. It didn't strike me as odd that OOo had a marketing arm because, really, OOo is good street cred for Sun Microsystems. The moment we get shills in ZDNet, give me a call Wink

<insert anticorporate ed troll here/>

ed
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject:

Just now (Wed, Feb 1 06, 11:50 MEZ) Neo1.2 is leading the Highlights List of the german MacTechNewshttp://www.mactechnews.de/index.php?function=10
T.
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject:

But I didn't find Neo in www.tucows.com. Is there a reason? (OOo is represented there)
T.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
But I didn't find Neo in www.tucows.com. Is there a reason? (OOo is represented there)

Yes; you have to pay to be listed there Sad (Or at least you did when I looked into it last--I think; there were a couple of sites we ruled out, and I can't remember which was for what reason without looking in the wiki).

NeoOffice Advocacy (I think) lists sites where we have listings--as well as sites we've ruled out for some reason or another. At least it lists them when the wiki's not out to lunch Wink

Smokey

Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
ovvldc wrote:

<chuckles/>

I always find it ironic whenever the word "marketing" comes up with something that is free. It didn't strike me as odd that OOo had a marketing arm because, really, OOo is good street cred for Sun Microsystems. The moment we get shills in ZDNet, give me a call Wink

ed

you have heard about a small browser called firefox and their marketing campaign that worked pretty well?
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3