Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Looking Good, or putting together a distributable clipart pk
Looking Good, or putting together a distributable clipart pk

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Would it make any sense at all to convert the SVGs into EPSs (which will have similar sizes) and then add a small, lo-res PNG to go along in the package, so that people could have an idea what the image actually looked like, but direct them to use the EPS instead? Or will they be too turned off by seeing the red bounding box and having to go to Print Preview to see what the document will really look like?

In that case, my opinion is EPS does not make sense for average users (at least I personally would not like to use them). Is there any other vector format that is supported by Neo/OO.o?
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject:

Another thing: Peter, Philip, please have a look at the discussions of the last week at this thread. Maybe this affects the efforts of a clipart pkg: templates.
T.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:32 am    Post subject: Clipart as a separate project

Orgleser wrote:
Another thing: Peter, Philip, please have a look at the discussions of the last week at this thread. Maybe this affects the efforts of a clipart pkg: templates.
T.

Thanks Thomas. It's good to get Patrick's views on this, and his advice re placement on servers etc. I think the comparison with NeoIconer is good: we can use this forum to host our discussions, but if we get to the point of having a package to share, we need to find a host for it.

You know, I've always had the view that, if we develop a clipart package for NeoOffice, it will be useful for OpenOffice.org as well - so that may be part of the answer to storage. But my interest is with getting something for NeoOffice in the first instance.

If we can come up with a package of clipart, I will have done most of what I am capable of doing. I can't program, so I can't be involved in packaging an installer [except as a tester, of course].

I'm still happy, given what Patrick has said, to see how a package of about 1800-2000 cliparts looks. For instance, can we get it down to 30MB-40MB? Within that, it may be possible to come up with a satisfactory mini-pack of 500 cliparts which would take less bandwidth. I think 200 is far too few. All such things involve compromise, and at some point you compromise so much that it's waste of time. By way of analogy, the number of templates in Pages 1 simply got users frustrated that they didn't have one to suit their needs. I know that that was my experience: I have never used one of the provided templates. I suspect a package of 200 cliparts will be received similarly: "nice candy, but none that I need"!

Thanks again, Thomas and Patrick Smile.

Interested to hear from others here.

Thanks for your thoughts too, Smokey. I must admit that, in terms of user-friendliness, I prefer a mid-quality raster image to a vector-workaround , but again I would like to hear from others.

Peter

Last edited by aussie149 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject:

Oh and third thing: I did look around a little in Openoffice.org, I did not manage a complete search of the domain due to limited time. But one result was: As far as I saw, there still is nothing compareable to what we do here, I did not yet find another complete sample gallery.
But perhaps I found a place, where the gallery intended here could be moved without thoughts about a secondary installer. Please everybody have a look at this: http://documentation.openoffice.org/Samples_Templates/User/gallery/index.html. Would that be a place for the thing that is on the way of being created here? Neo and OOo would profit from it there, and we could easily give a link and installation hints in Neo Wiki.
T.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Please everybody have a look at this: http://documentation.openoffice.org/Samples_Templates/User/gallery/index.html. Would that be a place for the thing that is on the way of being created here? Neo and OOo would profit from it there, and we could easily give a link and installation hints in Neo Wiki.
T.

Fascinating, T. I have my images stored in the NeoOffice equivalenty of %OpenOffice.org%/User/Gallery directory, but I needed a few more steps to actually make it work. Could it be that easy to install a gallery? This does seem a logical repository for our work.

Peter
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject:

Installation is described in the wiki: http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Using_Clipart, and there may be no other way.

BTW, on formats: I should have read through the wiki before asking for other vector formats. The wiki says "best choices for Neo for vector are EPS and WMF (or PICT if you have old Mac collections)". EPS doesn't seem to be best because not viewable on screen (you couldn't really use EPS for presentations, if i correctly understand), PICT is afaik a little large - what about .wmf? I don't know enough about it.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:
Installation is described in the wiki: http://neowiki.sixthcrusade.com/index.php/Using_Clipart, and there may be no other way.

I am always the optimist Laughing I hope there is a shortcut, or a way of automating the process.

P
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:

Orgleser wrote:

BTW, on formats: I should have read through the wiki before asking for other vector formats. The wiki says "best choices for Neo for vector are EPS and WMF (or PICT if you have old Mac collections)".

and "for raster, PNG and GIF"

So I guess png may be it. Personally, I have more programs that can deal with png than gif files. Why did Apple go to png recently?
P
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:
So I guess png may be it. Personally, I have more programs that can deal with png than gif files. Why did Apple go to png recently?

Any of the reasons listed in the following article could be an option: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNG.

Best wishes,
Oscar

aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: PNG format

ovvldc wrote:
aussie149 wrote:

Any of the reasons listed in the following article could be an option: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PNG.

Best wishes,
Oscar

Thanks Oscar. I'm convinced! Very Happy Peter
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: PNG plus

PS this would seem to suggest that one size does not fit all, and that we should use jpg for any photos we might have in a package, but png for clipart, line drawings etc. That seems to be what others do eg MS Word, and Swift Publisher that I have here.

Thanks Again Oscar. I love Wikipedia: one of the stars of the Web Smile
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: PNG plus

aussie149 wrote:
PS this would seem to suggest that one size does not fit all, and that we should use jpg for any photos we might have in a package, but png for clipart, line drawings etc. That seems to be what others do eg MS Word, and Swift Publisher that I have here.

Thanks Again Oscar. I love Wikipedia: one of the stars of the Web Smile

Ditto,

PNG for Clipart (where available - GIF if not?)
JPEG for photo art. (I suggest different archive for photos...)

I too learned a lot from the Wikipedia article. So much knowledge!! Very Happy

Maybe some day we will all be so OOo fancy that SVG would be a better choice, but I"M not holding my breath. At least for now that is RESERVED for NeoOffice 2.x alpha - beta- (and gamma radiation! )

Philip (gif, svg, png, jpg? Help I'm trapped in the TLA H-LL! Wink )
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: PNG plus

LemonAid wrote:
(I suggest different archive for photos...)

Tell me more, please. Why a different archive? Why not just a different folder?

Peter
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: PNG plus

aussie149 wrote:
LemonAid wrote:
(I suggest different archive for photos...)

Tell me more, please. Why a different archive? Why not just a different folder?

Peter

It could be either.
1. Different Archive because Photos would be in diferent format (jpg) and photos "tend" to be bigger in size, detail and composition. (wow, I did not know I knew such big words! Wink )
1.1 Photos can be "very" subjective and I wonder if it would be hard to get agreement for too many images. Old Masters, Classical, Nature, etc? Who would choose

2. Different Folders if the count was low and there was major agreement on which ones to include.
2.1 We are looking for items that would go well in Flyers, Brochures, Presentations and such. Photos probably would not be full printed page size.

Any Clipart that is trying to please a wide audience has a hard time pleasing everyone. Select a small audience (Fora followers?) and fulfill the greatest needs first?

Philip (might be a cynic due to extensive end-user support efforts? Wink )
Orgleser
sheepfun
sheepfun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject:

Philip I do agree with two archives. The question remains how to find a selection. At the moment, I think best is, we work as we did: Peter gives his proposal and we comment on this. That is because I see no other way to work with such a large thing with several persons. When the three or four or five of us reading and writing in this thread regularily have achieved a common proposal, we could ask the rest of the users here to have a look and add comments. How else should we work?

On formats: I would suggest we stay with .jpg for fotos. But for other clipart: Peter, Philip, you seem to prefer png by now, the argument I have read against vector is, that EPS can not be viewed on screen. But what about .wmf? That would be vector too. Perhaps I ll try some in the next days - if not somebody already has tried .wmf with neo and can add some words about that here. Critical points are in my opinion: Size of files, possibility to view on screen (wysiwyg), and possibilities of scaling and the look of scaled pics in NeoDocuments.
T.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6