Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - GUI Icon Redesign
GUI Icon Redesign

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: How to...

If someone wants to do a set of the 'standard" icons in OOo2.0 [sort of MS Office-ish] or the "industrial" ones [sort of gnome-ish], I have put up a note on Methodology on the page

http://www.geocities.com/aussie_149/NeoIcons.html

I don't want to waste space here with this, because I imagine that most readers of this forum know all this. However if like me you are a dunce at code, and can't help much with bug reports, you may want to do something that is undo-able, and won't damage the source code [is the term 'foobar"?] Smile

Peter
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Double Oops

ericbachard wrote:
Hi,

Reading : <http://www.geocities.com/aussie_149/NeoIcons.html>

Just for say the name of the application you just use the icons is OpenOffice.org, not OOo like you wrote.
Use a bad name is not very correct from your part.

Please, modify.

Thank's in advance

--
eric bachard

Not sure how I sent the above message again. What I meant to say was:

.Thanks for the advice, Eric. I wasn't aware of that. I guess I was copying shorthand that I had seen elswhere [as in OOoCon, or on this page- http://porting.openoffice.org/mac ], but I now "consider myself told". I'll make the appropriate changes on the website. On the other hand, I presume that naming icons eg OOo2.0CrystalPlus Icons is OK, because the releases are called OOO680m2 and OOO680_m3 etc. Question
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Unchanged Icons

JKT wrote:
Quick question - is there any reason why the Text shadow button isn't getting changed at all in Writer or is it just me?

Note - it remains that icon no matter which icon set I choose.

At risk of demonstrating my complete ignorance, I suspect it may have something to do with that icon not being on the slotlist of 525 icons. I only replaced icons that were on that list. Others that weren't in the list seem to include "extended help", "stop macro" and "vertical text". Beyond that, I have no understanding of how the slotlist works, so I am no help Confused Maybe Oscar can help us further?

But thanks for reminding me visually to select "flat buttons" in my View Very Happy
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:25 am    Post subject: Icons

BTW, what size preferences do people have, in making sets of icons? I am working on a 32x32 and a 22x22 set at the moment. My screen doesn't have enough territory to handle the 32x32, although they look nice. The 22x22 are maybe a tad small, but they have the advantage of being a reasonably close match in size to the stock OpenOffice.org [GTK] icons, which inevitably must be used to fill a few slots. And they are much the same size as the icons in most of my other day-to-day programs eg Firefox, Mail, Preview.

In mucking around with icons, I have come across this great program called Inkscape, which does things that other programs don't eg show svg files without odd effects. Actually I have had it installed for a year, but just discovered its potential. Another great open source program, just updated to include individual view windows. Runs in X11, but otherwise seems easy to use. And it converts svg to png in bulk in an instant.
Peter
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject:

FWIW, I definitely prefer smaller icons...I think the Mac OS X "small" icons are even too big if you need to have more than three or four on a toolbar Smile

Smokey

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject:

I use 24x24 icons which is the standard size from OpenOffice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject:

is it possible to mix toolbars that use different icons sizes ?
for exemple a toolbar of 32x32, and a toolbar of 22x22 or 24x24 or 16x16.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Different Icon Sizes

Anonymous wrote:
is it possible to mix toolbars that use different icons sizes ?
for exemple a toolbar of 32x32, and a toolbar of 22x22 or 24x24 or 16x16.

Hi

I presume you mean (say) a Draw toolbar of 32x32, and a Writer toolbar of 22x22: not really, because some of the icons figure in each toolbar. You couldn't have an "open" icon of one size in the Writer menu and a different size in the Draw menu. However, it should be possible to have icons that figure only in their own menu [eg all the icons for draw-shapes, or connectors] all at a different size to other menus. You can do that youself by opening the folder of icons, collecting all the appropriate icons together and plonking them on Batch Process Images, with the right settings. Or you can use a program like Graphic Converter to change them. Should work.

Peter
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Anonymous wrote:
I use 24x24 icons which is the standard size from OpenOffice

I use 22x22 but these are padded to 24x24 anyway. I like that size. Small enough to have enough buttons and large enough to be able to hit them without being too careful with the mouse/trackpad.

aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: NeoIconer and new icons sets

I have now dumped the pages I had and put up a tidier site. Page 1 is much what was there previously, the CrystalPlus and AquaFusion icons from OpenOffice.org 2 and a few other sources, plus a new way to get hold of the OpenOffice.org icons:

http://au.geocities.com/aussie_149/index.html

The second page contains a new set, from Nuno Pinheiro and Robert Wadley - posted at kde-look.org. It is a more complete set, and I have not used any "fillers" from other sets, so the missing [85] slots in the slotlist from NeoIconer will be filled with the original [GTK] icons. I consider this a more sustainable set than the cobbled-together CrystalPlus set. I also have hopes that there might be several more icons in the set than I have found so far [eg there are puzzling omissions of "align-graphics-" icons, and icons for "delete", "exit" and some other obvious functions]. Thanks to Nuno and Robert and those who came before them for these excellent icons.

This second page is at

http://au.geocities.com/aussie_149/page0/page0.html

and also contains the amended NeoIconer, about which I repeat my previous warnings. There is a workaround for those not keen to use this NeoIconer.

Peter
knussear
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Nevermind the post below, I figured out that I needed the previous neoIconer directory in place to run this.

//

I'm trying to run NeoIconerX and I keep getting

igswnvwwxxxxx:~/Desktop/Downloads knussear$ ./NeoIconerX
couldn't read file "config.tcl": no such file or directory
while executing
"source config.tcl"
(file "./NeoIconerX" line 30)

Can anyone help?

Thanks
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject:

knussear wrote:
Nevermind the post below, I figured out that I needed the previous neoIconer directory in place to run this.

//

I'm trying to run NeoIconerX and I keep getting

igswnvwwxxxxx:~/Desktop/Downloads knussear$ ./NeoIconerX
couldn't read file "config.tcl": no such file or directory
while executing
"source config.tcl"
(file "./NeoIconerX" line 30)

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Good point: all you should do with the re-written NeoIconerX is put it in the same folder as your NeoIconer 0.8 files, inc. the NeoIconer exec file. Then you havigate to this folder in your Terminal and then run ./NeoIconerx instead of ./NeoIconer

eg cd ~/Desktop/NeoIconer0.8.1
then ./NeoIconerX

Use the config.tcl file in the same way as before: put the new icons in this same directory and add icon sets eg as "OO_o/22x22"

Peter
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject:

as an fyi (y'all probably know this, but just in case)

i installed the alpha finally last night. i deleted my 1.1 app and installed 1.2 app (but left all the pref folders, etc) and the icons transfered to the new program with no work.

and look kick ass, btw.

-j
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: New icon source

Hi y'all,

One of the Camino gang pointed this out to me tonight: http://tango-project.org/

Still in progress (and nowhere near enough for OOo/Neo Sad), but I like them a lot better than Gnome or Crystal or anything else I've seen so far Wink

http://tango-project.org/Tango_Icon_Gallery

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: New icon source

sardisson wrote:
Hi y'all,

One of the Camino gang pointed this out to me tonight: http://tango-project.org/

Still in progress (and nowhere near enough for OOo/Neo Sad), but I like them a lot better than Gnome or Crystal or anything else I've seen so far Wink

http://tango-project.org/Tango_Icon_Gallery

Smokey

Hi Smokey

Thanks for that link. I agree that the icons are quite attractive, but my initial exciement was tempered when I saw how few there were, compare to the number we need in NeoOffice. Unless they are going to produce a set for all or even most OpenOfficeorg functions [as Crystal now is, and as Pinheiro/Wadley set out to do], the set will remain a curiosity for NeoOffice users, llike other part-sets we have had.

The Icon Naming Specification [INS] referred to in these links makes the problem clear. Even if the developers had a full set matching this INS specification, that would probably provide less than 100 of the 525 replacements that NeoIconer does. So, we are left with maybe 100 of their icons and 400 of something else Sad The old frustration returns...

We could do something similar with OS X icons. Eg I could fairly readily patch together a set of 150 or so OS X icons, taken from here and there, and obviously matching the desktop OS X icons [because that's what they are, taken from Apple applications and others]. I have a folder with OS X icons for:

back.png bring-backward.png bring-forward.png bucketfill.png alc-accept.png calc-cancel.png copy.png crop.png cut.png data-as-table.png decrease-font.png directcursor.png Display 1_001.png document 1_001.png double_folder 1_001.png draw-callouts_001.png draw-circle.png draw-line.png draw-polygon.png draw-square.png edit.png exit.png Favorites.png file_temporary_002.png filenew 1_001.png fileopen_001.png fileprint 1_001.png filter.png find.png flip-horizontally.png
...and so on through the alphabet. But 150 or so is a long way short of a full set of 500-odd [in fact the Pinheiro set has 800], and we keep coming back to the old problem: if most of the icons are *not* provided by the new set, the whole look is unbalanced. While that's fine for those of us who like dabbling with new icons, it would be nice to offer something for those mac users who might take up NeoOffice, if the GUI wasn't so old-fashioned. We know that that is a problem in the take-up of NeoOffice [see feedback on VersionTracker etc]

I was disappointed that this group is not developing an OOo set, but this page [see bit at bottom of page]
http://tango-project.org/Tango_Icon_Library
doesn't even mention KOffice [which has a lot less icons than OOo] as a possibility for development.

If you look at the before and after pic, you will see that most of the icons on their desktop are still KDE Crystal in the "after" shot:
http://tango-project.org/Image:Tango-on-kde-after-2.png

Pity, they are nice. I like them a lot Smile

Cheers
Peter
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 10 of 15