Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)
icons/splashscreen redesigning thread (finished)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Duh

djpimley wrote:
All files use the existing NeoOffice file names so manual installation is as simple as a Finder drag and drop.

OK I give up. Where do I put the icons in the Sources folder?

P
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
sardisson wrote:
2) Can you fairly easily generate 16x16 and 32x32 .png files for the toolbar icons? If not, I'll find some way to do so, but I thought I'd check first....

I thought those needed to be 26x26..

-Oz

The file document icon sizes are all 32x32 and 16x16; I really didn't pay attention to any of the other toolbar icons, to be honest Wink

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Duh

aussie149 wrote:
djpimley wrote:
All files use the existing NeoOffice file names so manual installation is as simple as a Finder drag and drop.

OK I give up. Where do I put the icons in the Sources folder?

P

Those are for the NeoOffice.org cvs (in case we need to modify anything at some point, etc.) and/or for people who want to create derivatives. Smile

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
What happened to the HTML Template icon? (there's no slot for it in the current .plist, but I'm doing some .plist work anyway--always more bugs--so it's easy for me to add it to my patch)

I replaced the existing icons on a name-for-name basis so the HTML template didn't get added. If you give me a file name I'll create the icon and add it to the package. As I remember the original spec was for 17 icons. There are 15 in the set at the moment, you discovered that Database templates are not possible, so HTML template is the only one missing?
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
doctype wrote:
Here's a comparison of some of the really small (16x16) icons for text documents from different applications - I think (for the next edition) some of those small icons could gain from a little fine tuning. What do you think?

I think they're crisper than any of the other 16x16 icons, which is a good thing Smile (says the guy whose icons people complained were too fuzzy at 16x16)

Well, obviously I wouldn't have complained, because I rather like the "fuzzy" style, when the icon still tries at even 16px to look like its bigger brother (or sister?). But I see, that's another question of taste which would lead to an endless "I like - I like not" discussion ...

sardisson wrote:
If you mean association-with-the-app type stuff, perhaps, although my initial feeling is that we'll make the connection pretty quickly as we start seeing the icons, especially once they're in the toolbars and open/save dialogues Wink

I was a little disappointed, when zooming, to see the ship disappear right at the last step between 20 (24?) and 16. Even OpenOffice.org keeps its birds. OK, a ship is much more complex, but a "dot" would help to make the association. Once again, taste ... Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
If you give me a file name I'll create the icon and add it to the package.

How about "oth.icns" Wink

djpimley wrote:
As I remember the original spec was for 17 icons. There are 15 in the set at the moment, you discovered that Database templates are not possible, so HTML template is the only one missing?

Right.

The next go-round (whenever that may be), I think it makes sense to revise the spec to include a generic template icon and a Master Document icon (the former for internal to the app and the latter for both internal and the Finder). For now I mapped the generic template to the Writer template and the Master Document to the generic document. As I said, for the next go-round.

For all interested parties, the toolbar/preferences/random-other-places-in-the-app icons are here. (installation instructions for modifying the default icon set's standard (non-high contrast) icons included). I'd appreciate it if you let me know if there were any places where OOo icons still appeared in the app and I'll try and track down the vagrant. Also, if I've got an icon switched (I don't think I do), please let me know.

If all goes well, hopefully these will join djpimley's new Finder icons in Neo 2 Aqua Beta Smile

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject:

doctype wrote:
sardisson wrote:
If you mean association-with-the-app type stuff, perhaps, although my initial feeling is that we'll make the connection pretty quickly as we start seeing the icons, especially once they're in the toolbars and open/save dialogues Wink

I was a little disappointed, when zooming, to see the ship disappear right at the last step between 20 (24?) and 16. Even OpenOffice.org keeps its birds. OK, a ship is much more complex, but a "dot" would help to make the association. Once again, taste ... Smile

Having spent now several hours replacing the toolbar/etc. icons and reloading Neo, I still miss the ship in that left-most toolbar icon. In fact, I like the small "generic" icon quite a bit I think because it has the ship. So crisp + a blue globe (dot) of some sort could make me happy at 16x16... Wink

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
ovvldc wrote:
I thought those needed to be 26x26..

-Oz

The file document icon sizes are all 32x32 and 16x16; I really didn't pay attention to any of the other toolbar icons, to be honest Wink

Indeed, the large toolbar icons are 26x26 (but are centered inside a 32x32 slot); none of the document icons show up in the toolbar at large sizes, though, and the other places in the app where large document icons do appear do use full 32x32 icons.

Yay OOo Razz Nothing like 12,000 icons at several differing sizes throughout the app Wink

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject:

BTW, you can get Mac OS X disclosure triangles manually (until Ed hooks them up to NWF) by grabbing /System/Library/Frameworks/InterfaceBuilder.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Expanded.tiff converting it to a .png (Preview's Export command works nicely here) and putting it in images/res/minus.png and grabbing /System/Library/Frameworks/InterfaceBuilder.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Collapsed.tiff then converting it to .png and putting it in images/res/plus.png before you update your zip file Wink

(Those might only exist if you have the dev tools installed (since they're in the IB framework), but those graphics have to exist somewhere else on the system, too....

Pretty triangles Wink

Here's what the toolbar menu looks like with the Neo 2 icons Smile

I think I should stop talking to myself in this thread for a while Wink

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject:

I've added the HTML template icon as "oth.icns". I've also made very slight changes to all 16px template icons to improve their outline against dark backgrounds.

NeoOffice Aqua Elements 1.1:
http://www.pimley.net/projects/downloads/NeoOfficeAquaElements.dmg

Regards,
Daniel Pimley
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject:

The icons look great in use! The only disconcerting one to me is the Finder version of generic.icns - from the generic16px.psd file.

On the one hand, this icon is applied to the least NeoOffice-specific doc types, but on the other hand it's the only Finder icon with a prominent ship-in-a-bobble on it. It took me a 2nd glance to realise that all my .csv files were assigned to NeoOffice, because the icon looks so different from the other ones...

It's also something to do with the fact that all your other icons have prominent colour shading/gradients, so this one stands out as odd due to its lack of colour shading (in the higher-res versions of the generic icon, it has the same ship as all the other icons, so the 'brand identity' is retained more there)...

As this generic icon gets applied to stuff like .csv that are text-based (does anyone know of any non-text-based doc types that use this icon?), maybe a more consistent solution would be an icon with the blue gradient but no ship? (I don't mean to rock the boat...)

- padmavyuha

Last edited by yoxi on Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:33 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
BTW, you can get Mac OS X disclosure triangles manually (until Ed hooks them up to NWF) by grabbing /System/Library/Frameworks/InterfaceBuilder.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Expanded.tiff converting it to a .png (Preview's Export command works nicely here) and putting it in images/res/minus.png and grabbing /System/Library/Frameworks/InterfaceBuilder.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Collapsed.tiff then converting it to .png and putting it in images/res/plus.png before you update your zip file Wink

You forgot /System/Library/Frameworks/InterfaceBuilder.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ExpandedPressed.tiff ->images/res/minus_sch.png and /System/Library/Frameworks/InterfaceBuilder.framework/Versions/A/Resources/CollapsedPressed.tiff ->images/res/plus_sch.png
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
As this generic icon gets applied to stuff like .csv that are text-based (does anyone know of any non-text-based doc types that use this icon?), maybe a more consistent solution would be an icon with the blue gradient but no ship? (I don't mean to rock the boat...)

It gets applied to all sorts of binary files, too--as well as to any file you save with Neo but remove the extension from--so we don't want to turn it into a "text-like" document; it needs to stay "generic".

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject:

Oh, okay then - but the current 16pix one still looks very different from the rest, to my eye. Is it just me that finds it odd? If so, then I'll stop putting my oar in - meanwhile, I salute your titanic efforts, and other ship jokes... Cool

- padmavyuha
Steve Read

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Instructions for installing icons

Would it be possible to post instructions on where these new icons should go? At this point the thread is 15 pages long, so if they were previously posted they are hard to find.
thanks
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 15 of 22