Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neo beta slows down the sleep of the Mac ?
Neo beta slows down the sleep of the Mac ?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Neo beta slows down the sleep of the Mac ?

Since I installed Neo Aqua beta, my computers (Pb G4 and iMac G5) are very slow (about 20 seconds) to go to sleep if Neo is running. I had no problem with Neo Alpha.
I wonder whether anyone else noticed that strange behavior ?

It's not tragic ! Low priority. And Neo Aqua is absolutely breathtaking. Thanks for the great work.

(Tiger 10.4.7, iMac 2GHz, 1Go RAM)

Jacqueline
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject:

I myself haven't noticed any sleep issues with Neo 2.0 AB and machines. Odd that you seem to be having issues with both of them, though. I've had some strange sleep issues on my dual G5 1.8 at work that have been appearing after the 10.4.7 update but have no clue if it's related. AB doesn't install any new sleep handlers or the like, so I can't see how it might be doing it. I thought my 10.4.7 sleep issues were isolated to my box at work (no problem on Intel iMac).

Offhand, do you know if your machines are memory swapping when they go to sleep? You may need to keep Application Monitor on top or listen for the hard drive after the screen goes kaput. While 2.0 AB will use more real memory than previous versions, Patrick's also added a number of optimizations to improve memory usage including the lazy font goodness that's in the Alpha 4 test performance patch and some new memory optimizations for bitmaps as well.

ed
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your answer. It's a bit strange because it's irregular. But my husband noticed the same issue on his iMac G4. May be it's related with Neo + another app, or the internet connection or … something else!

I don't hear anything when the screen turns dark.

I'll try to figure that out and if I understand something i'll post here.
It seems that nobody else noticed that issue, so don't worry Smile

J.
tim-e
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject:

I've noticed it too - 34 seconds to go to sleep with NeoOffice open, vs 4 seconds without. Powerbook g4/1.5/1.25GB/OSX 10.4.7.
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject:

What other apps are you running at the same time?

I suspect that the "go to sleep" request may be invoking disk swapping if you're running lots of other apps other than Neo (Safari can also be a huge memory hog, especially if you're using lots of tabs). The operating system needs to deliver a "hey, I'm going to sleep" message to all running apps which will require swapping them into memory to do so. I may not be seeing it myself since I have lots of memory on the majority of the machines where I use Neo on a day to day basis.

ed
tim-e
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject:

I closed all applications except NeoOffice... and left a terminal window open running top to have a look at what was using what. About 4 seconds after putting the system to sleep, the soffice binary spikes to 14% CPU usage, then drops back to idle. Nothing else sticks out as chewing any resources, and the memory stats hardly change during the ~30 seconds after the soffice spike, then eventually my powerbook actually goes to sleep.
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:41 am    Post subject:

OK, thanks for posting the update to your issue. Unfortunately, neither Patrick nor I have ever seen this so aside from memory swapping (which we can't do anything about) there's not much in our own control that affects system sleep Sad Who knows, it may be user account or machine dependent. I'll keep trying to reproduce this and hope that you can understand why we can't address it now and please be patient.

ed
tim-e
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject:

It's OK - I usually just put the laptop to sleep and walk away anyway. I only noticed this because I read the original thread. Wink
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject:

No, it's totally good that you saw it. The fact that it's more than one person means that there's some commonality. Either it's a memory swapping thing (my suspicion), a hardware commonality, or a viable bug. With something as sporadic as this any info on how to track it down is much better than none at all Smile

ed
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject:

A bit more info.
After having used Neo a few days, I no longer saw that behaviour, on any of the three machines…
This morning, after having read tim-e's post, I installed Neo for first time on an iBook, and that iBook goes to sleep very slowly.
It seems that after some days of use, that slowness disappears. Wait and see !
Strange, strange.
Jacqueline
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Just a simple thought: do you have the autosave function on?

Oscar
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject:

Yes, I had it on. I disabled it : no change. I'll wait a while, use the iBook for a few days and … see.
On the other computers, the slowness has totally disappeared.
Question

Jacqueline
tim-e
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject:

It only happens if there is an actual NeoOffice window drawn. If the application is sitting idle in the dock, my Mac goes to sleep in 4 seconds like normal.
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject:

Last news :
I have been working two days on the new installed Neo on the iBook, with that sleep problem. It happened with or whithout a document opened.
Some quit / reopen of Neo and after those two days that issue has totally disappeared. The Mac goes to sleep in 3-4 seconds. Same observation on 4 machines.
I can't call that a bug, it's just very, very odd.

J.
tim-e
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject:

Yep, same here. My Mac now goes to sleep within 4 seconds every time. Now that's a strange one.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1