Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Column to normal page.
Column to normal page.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shouit
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Column to normal page.

I am trying to have two pages of columns and one page of normal for a document. The columns were originally imported from a Word document. For whatever reason and granted I am not that great with office suites, it wants to make that third page a column even when I played with page styles. I would insert a page break with a new style and that wouldn't work. Is there anything else I can do? Am I missing something? Any help would be great.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to the forums at trinity.

I find combining page styles to be one of the trickiest aspects of NeoOffice. Unfortunately it is an OpenOffice.org problem, and not something the NeoOffice developers can "fix."

Here is what I would try. I realize that you have done some of this already, so please bear with me. The order is important, I think.

-Click in one of the pages with columns
-Click on the Styles button on the toolbar, to pull up the Styles and Formatting window.
-Click on the Page Styles icon
-Click and hold down the mouse button on the icon that looks like a sheet with a green cross on it
-choose "new style from selection"
-Name the style (e.g. columns)
-Select all the pages that are to have this style
-Double click on the name of the new page style you created.
-Now click at the bottom of the last page you want to have that style
-Under the Insert Menu, choose Manual Break... then page break
-Make sure your other style (the one without columns) shows up in the drop down menu. (or choose default)
-Click o.k.

This should do it. If it doesn't, click in the page that is not supposed to have columns. Then control-click or right-click on the style name for this page in the Styles and Formatting window. Choose "Modify." When the format page window comes up again, make the necessary changes.

It sounds like you've read the wiki on page styles, but if you haven't, that's a good resource too. (There's a link to the NeoWiki's main page in the "Other Websites" box to the left.)

Hope this helps.

Lorinda

Edit by Lorinda: add a missing step.

Last edited by Lorinda on Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject:

I've also read to create a new blank document; and in the Page Styles create a single; 2-column and 3-column custom page style; then save this new blank document as a template file.

Return to your original document ; insert a manual page break and under Style and Formatting; select page icon with green arrow; Load styles; From file; select your template file with the 3 custom columns; you should now see the new column page styles

However; when I click on them the entire documents page format is overwritten; thus loosing section control.

If you have a single page document you can select: Insert; Section; Columns tab and change that to 3 columns and still maintain control.

Then under Format: Sections: Options you can change columns from 1-2-3 etc.

Not an "answer" but an option.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject:

shouit,

Did you see following wiki page Editing_Default_Styles_and_Using_Templates.
Especially: Documentation and tips on using styles

* OOoAuthors Intro to Styles

Philip ( Styles?!? Love them, Hate them. Better to learn how to best to use them. Wink )

shouit
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all the responses. Using all your suggestions, I learned that the document I was working on was corrupted. I cut/pasted the information from that file into a new file and it worked great! Thanks so much.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1