Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Footnotes in Captions of Images or in Textfields
Footnotes in Captions of Images or in Textfields

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayRay
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Footnotes in Captions of Images or in Textfields

Hey,

I'm currently writing a large document in Neo Office, so far I'm quite satisfied with the features. Anyhow I used the function to add a caption/title to the image in the document and wanted to put a footnote in the caption, so that the source of the image can be shown in the footnote.

This doesn't seem to work and the other idea to put a textfield under the image doesn't allow footnotes either....why is that so ??

Any workarounds here ?

Thanks

Ray
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject:

Welcome to the forums at trinity!

This is not my area of expertise, but I did remember reading something about it in one of the OpenOffice.org forums, so I did some searching. I found this thread and this other thread

The short answer appears to be it can't be done directly but there are some workarounds.

Lorinda
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject:

The image caption function is pretty flaky in OpenOffice/NeoOffice. In any case, I don't think you can footnote from anywhere except main page text. A workaround would be:
i) add a caption to the image, and append e.g. an asterisk as the footnote symbol (you can't make it superscript in the caption, alas, but the asterisk sort of works anyway)
ii) somewhere on the page where the image lives, insert some random text like 'image footnote container' and insert a footnote there, assigning the asterisk character to it
iii) enter your footnote text in the footnote space
iv) select the 'image footnote container' text, and the asterisk that sits after it which is linked to the footnote, and colour the text white, which will render the text and asterisk invisible

I know this is a bit if a palaver, but it will work, and you can search for the 'image footnote container' text if you want to delete the footnote later.

- padmavyuha

*edit* okay, Lorinda beat me to it - the methods described are a bit more palaver but mean you can use footnote numbers superscripted if you want.
RayRay
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject:

Thanks to you ! This is going very fast here and I will test it immediately..

Greets
Ray
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject:

Thanks, yoxi!

I've added this thread to the New Articles Needed page of the wiki.

Lorinda
RayRay
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject:

The solution using the small table (2 lines, 1 column), which contains the image and the caption works best for me.

Thanks for helping out

Ray
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Yes, the table idea's a good workaround for the crappiness of the native image caption implementation in OOo, even without the added bonus of footnotes.

- padmavyuha
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1