Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - CREATING CONSECUTIVE DATE COLUMN IN A TABLE...
CREATING CONSECUTIVE DATE COLUMN IN A TABLE...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donagh
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: CREATING CONSECUTIVE DATE COLUMN IN A TABLE...

Hi Guys,

I'm creating a Neo text document which tracks monthly invoice payment. I've inserted a table that contains 3 columns. The first contains all of the month's dates, the second is job description, and the third payment.

I'm trying to format the first column so that the dates run consecutively from top to bottom. I tried entering the first two or three table fields and then went to 'drag' them down to the bottom (as in Excel) but with no results.

Is there a way to do this automatically, or do I have to enter each table field with each day of the month manually?

Thanks in advance,

Donagh

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject:

The select and drag option works in Calc; I don't know if it will in a Writer table. You could insert a Cacl OLE object into the Writer document (Insert>Object>OLE...). That would let you use Calc's features. But, manipulating OLE objects is one of the places that Neo is rather slow. To work within the OLE frame, you have to click the frame and then wait for it to redraw and the appropriate toolbars to appear. When you return to the writer environment you must wait as well.

It's also important to remember to resize the OLE only when the OLE environment is activated; if you resize while in the "outer" document, the OLE content will be distorted.

Lorinda
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject:

I have some good news for you if you're setting up a new table and want one column to have consecutive dates in it. This method is only useful where you want so many rows of consecutive dates (or numbers or whatever) that it would take longer to type them in than to do this, but as there's no Fill Down in writer tables, this is the way forward for long lists.

Let's suppose you want your table with 30 rows and 3 columns, and you want the 1st column to have the consecutive dates in:

• open a calc doc
• format the first column with your preferred date format
• enter the first date in A1
• drag the bottom-right corner of A1 down to A30 for a consecutive Fill Down of the date
• select the cell range A1 to C30*, and copy to the clipboard with cmd-C

• switch to your writer doc and put the cursor where you want the table to begin
• hit cmd-shift-V to call up the Paste Special dialogue, and choose Unformatted Text
• 30 'paragraphs' will be pasted in, with tabs
• select those 'paragraphs', then go to Table::Convert::Text to Table in the menu
• choose Tabs to separate text at, and click Okay, and there you have your 3-column, 30-row table with the dates in the 1st column

*Note: don't, whatever you do, try just selecting the whole columns in the calc doc (i.e. by clicking on the column headers), as when you try to special paste them, NeoOffice will spin in its grave forever...

- padmavyuha
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject:

Also note that writing the topic in all capitals is considered bad form. You are strongly discouraged from doing this again.

Best wishes,
Oscar

Donagh
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda and Padmavyuha,

Thank for the help. You guys ought to write all the help files and tutorials. Wait a minute... You DO write tutorials, Lorinda! Any way you slice it, just what the doctor ordered! Much obliged.

Oh... and a STRONG THANKS to you too, Oscar. I'll make that adjustment on future posts. ;^) (sorry... couldn't resist)

Donagh

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Note that if you don't have your Writer table set up already, there's a way that'll save you all the text-to-table reformatting steps:

* Set up your data in Calc as desired
* Select your data; if you know you want some additional columns, go ahead and select the blank cells from those colums
* Copy
* In Writer, Paste Special and chose HTML or Formatted Text [RTF]

Ta-da, a table. You'll have to set the borders to your liking, and perhaps the positioning of the table, but I find that's a lot easier than text-to-table.

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject:

That's a good tip - I was going for the "don't trust apps to do sensible formatting for you" approach Wink, hence the text2table. For me there's often just as much work in reformatting the html to look how I'd want it to as there is in the extra steps to make a text2table.

- padmavyuha
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject:

I wake up a bit late Rolling Eyes

Why not choose a DDE link in Paste Special? It works fine. You can edit the table in Writer, or you may activate the links when you reopen the Writer deocument, if you want and only if you want.

Jacqueline
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject:

So many options! I still prefer the "keep things native" approach - so the writer table is just that, and has no connexion needed with any other docs. Unless you want it to, and then of course... Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
Why not choose a DDE link in Paste Special?

I had always thought that was the same as OLE, so that you had to click once to select, then double-click to activate the spreadsheet, and so forth.

I'm delighted to see that I'm wrong, and it seems like the best way to go....

Now, if OOo would ever figure out how to paste Calc cells into a Writer table with a 1-to-1 cell correspondance, I'd be in heaven... Razz

Smokey

Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Now, if OOo would ever figure out how to paste Calc cells into a Writer table with a 1-to-1 cell correspondance, I'd be in heaven... Razz

Smokey

Sure, it would be a nice new feature, but heaven doesn't belong to this earth…

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1