Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Transfer via brush changes font size. How can I avoid that?
Transfer via brush changes font size. How can I avoid that?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Transfer via brush changes font size. How can I avoid that?

Hi,
my default font is Times New Roman 12 pt. It is somewhere in my standards.
Currently I am creating a text with 13 pt.
When I transfer paragraph attributes via brush from one paragraph (indented first line; 13 pt) to another (13 pt) the font size of the receiving paragraph is changed to 12, although both paragraphs are in 13 pt. Can I avoid that? If, yes, how?

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject:

I am having difficulty reproducing this problem. I am manually setting the font size on the text that I copy the formatting but I suspect that I need to use different steps to reproduce the problem.

Can you tell us what steps you used to set the font to 13 point?

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject:

It would also be helpful to know the exact steps you are using with the Format Paintbrush. The results are different depending on whether or not you selected some text in the source paragraph. (See the Help section on Format Paintbrush for a table discussing the various effects).

I am guessing that there is a conflict between the paragraph style, character style and/or direct formatting in the source paragraph, and that is creating the odd results with the Format Paintbrush.

Lorinda
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks for helping.
1) I guess I did set the font to 13 this way:
EDIT /Select all + change from 12 to 13 in the box in the upper bar (where I have "Standard" "Times New Roman" and now "13"). This means: I first created the document with my standards (= 12 pt), then I changed my mind and the font to 13 pt as just described.
2) I use the brush this way: I put the cursor in any paragraph (its attributes I want to transfer = sending paragraph; it has 13 ft. and no indentation). Then I go up to the brush icon, click and instead of the cursor I get a can with dropping color. Now I go into the receiving paragraph and click.
The receiving paragraph was indented on the right side & 13 pt before and now it gets the attributs of the sending paragraph (= no indentation) – this is just fine and the goal of the whole procedure – but to my regret it also changes the font to 12 pt.
Does that answer your questions?

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
The receiving paragraph was indented on the right side & 13 pt before and now it gets the attributs of the sending paragraph (= no indentation) – this is just fine and the goal of the whole procedure – but to my regret it also changes the font to 12 pt.
Does that answer your questions?

I think so. What I found is that the font size attribute only applies to the text that you select, not the entire paragraph. For example, I put the cursor in a paragraph with 13 point type and pressed the Format Paintbrush toolbar icon. When the mouse cursor changes to a paint can I dragged the mouse from the beginning of paragraph with 12 point type to the beginning of the next paragraph and released the mouse. After doing that, the paragraph had 13 point type.

Do you get different results than me when you select the entire paragraph with the paint can mouse cursor?

Patrick
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Do you get different results than me when you select the entire paragraph with the paint can mouse cursor?
Yes, but not of the kind you and I expected, I guess.
The resulting paragraph has two different font sets.
Exactly the word where I put the paint can in the receiving paragraph is 13 pt (here the font size was transfered), the rest of the paragraph changes to 12 pt. (my first paragraph - now fully selected - is 13 pt.)
Example 1:
„We do need further development of inductive logic, and further investigation into scientific methodology, in particula into the comparability of scientific theories, but nobody needs rules of acceptance of any kind“ (Bar-Hillel 1968, S. 126).
End of example 1 ("inducive" is 13 pt., the rest 12 pt.)
There's no sense to give you Example 2 because it happens only when I put the paint can in the receiving text behind a blank right before a word. Then the whole paragraph changes to 12 pt.

I repeated the first example with
first paragraph 13 pt. - receiving paragraph 18 pt.
Then the transfer as you proposed. Result:
receiving paragraph is 12 pt. except the one word where I put the paint can: this word has 13 pt.

So it seems to me: the receiving paragraph always gets the standard 12 pt. except when I put the paint can in a word; then this word gets the font size of the giving paragraph (the rest of the paragraph gets standard 12 pt).

But that gave me an idea. The relevant act is not to mark the giving paragraph, but to mark the receiving paragraph with the paint can. (Is that what you meant in the first place?) Till now I always just "dropped" the paint can somewhere in the receiving paragraph. Now I selected the whole receiving paragraph with the paint can and it works!
It's a little bit tricky to mark the whole paragraph with the paint can (to just let it drop would be easier), but it does the job.
Thank you.

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
But that gave me an idea. The relevant act is not to mark the giving paragraph, but to mark the receiving paragraph with the paint can. (Is that what you meant in the first place?) Till now I always just "dropped" the paint can somewhere in the receiving paragraph. Now I selected the whole receiving paragraph with the paint can and it works!
It's a little bit tricky to mark the whole paragraph with the paint can (to just let it drop would be easier), but it does the job.

Yes. That is what I meant. You select the receiving paragraph. I am glad that that works for you.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject:

This seems to be for Write but I have seen in Calc that the paint brush dropping will not change items after certain, but not all, format changes within a cell. Could this be related? Does an existing format change inhibit further changes in that paragraph or cell? Just say I'm off-base as I do not have a ready example.
-Ken
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject:

kklare wrote:
This seems to be for Write but I have seen in Calc that the paint brush dropping will not change items after certain, but not all, format changes within a cell. Could this be related? Does an existing format change inhibit further changes in that paragraph or cell? Just say I'm off-base as I do not have a ready example.

You will generally see this behavior with attributes which can be applied to individual characters like font size, bolding, italicizing, and color. For such "character" attributes, NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code will only apply the attributes to the text that you select with the paint can cursor.

As a result, when you only click on the receiving text, the selected area is really zero characters and any none of the character attributes get applied.

Hope that makes sense.

Patrick
kklare
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject:

It has been the better part of a year but I was trying to change the font size of a whole page but had transitions in the text of some cells so it looked odd with tail end of the cell still wrong sized. IIRC in Excel I used 12 pt but needed 10 pt in Calc to achieve the same effect. Probably could have done it in the format palette?

So for proper dropping you would need to swipe the whole text region to be changed. This would be difficult for multiple cells, unless you would double click the brush and then swipe them dropping the formatting on all. Untested.
-Ken
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1