Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Helvetica Oblique Does Not Appear in NeoOffice Font List
Helvetica Oblique Does Not Appear in NeoOffice Font List

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Helvetica Oblique Does Not Appear in NeoOffice Font List

I'm pretty sure this is actually a problem with my Helvetica font and not NeoOffice, but I'm hoping you might be able to tell me why it's a problem in NeoOffice but not in Text Edit, Pages, etc.

According to Font Book, I have Helvetica Oblique; it's in /System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.dfont

When I validate the font, it checks out as o.k. in Font Book.

But it's not listed in the list of Fonts in NeoOffice (Helvetica, Helvetica Bold, and Helvetica Bold Oblique are listed there.)

I can still make Helvetica text Italic, but if I do so in the Format>Character panel, I am told that the character style will be simulated.

Text Edit and Pages have no difficulty accessing Helvetica Oblique. In Pages, there are two drop-downs on the toolbar, one for Font, and one for Typeface. The contents of the Typeface drop-down change, depending on the font chosen in the Font drop-down, and Oblique is one of the options for Helvetica.

I am, however, having trouble with Helvetica Oblique in another Mac app, namely Accordance. This is what leads be to believe that it's a font corruption problem and not directly a NeoOffice problem.

Do you have any clues as to why this is only happening in some apps? Is there something about Neo that would lead it to be more sensitive to an oddity with Helvetica Oblique that wouldn't bother certain other apps?

I have tried using Disk Utility to fix my hard drive, and Onyx to clear my font caches to no effect.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Helvetica Oblique Does Not Appear in NeoOffice Font List

Lorinda wrote:
But it's not listed in the list of Fonts in NeoOffice (Helvetica, Helvetica Bold, and Helvetica Bold Oblique are listed there.)

If you scroll down in the font list past all of NeoOffice's Helvetica Neue entries, is it listed there? At first I did not see the Helvetica Oblique font either but then I remembered that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code sorts the list by each font's full name, not family.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject:

Aha! It is there! Embarassed With Helvetica at the top and so many Helvetica Neue varieties, Helvetica Oblique was below the bottom of the scroll window. Plus I didn't think to look there.

Thanks, Patrick! That rules out my original theory, but gives me some more data to work out with the Accordance support folks what's going wrong there.

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Thanks, Patrick! That rules out my original theory, but gives me some more data to work out with the Accordance support folks what's going wrong there.

Lorinda, don't forget that on some versions of Mac OS X, Helvetica and Courier Oblique are inventions of the Mac OS X font APIs (and are not available to all of the Mac OS X font APIs, only some of them): http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Accessing_Helvetica_Oblique_and_Courier_Oblique

They should be available on 10.5 and up, though; at least they are using the font APIs that NeoOffice and Mozilla Gecko-based apps use (whereas on 10.4 in those same apps, H and C Oblique were not available).

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Good point Smokey. I just happened to be running Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard when I was investigating Lorinda's support request.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Smokey. This was on my 10.6 machine, which I forgot to mention above. And Helvetica Oblique does show up in Font Book, unlike on my Tiger machine (where I don't have any problems with Accordance showing italics!).

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Thanks, Smokey. This was on my 10.6 machine, which I forgot to mention above.

Yeah, I wasn't sure, but obviously I was hoping it was the 10.4 machine Wink It still could be that Accordance is using some variation of the font APIs that don't have the "fix"; dunno Sad

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1