Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - failure installing patch 3.3.3 patch 1 on OS 10.6.4
failure installing patch 3.3.3 patch 1 on OS 10.6.4

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snokeja
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: failure installing patch 3.3.3 patch 1 on OS 10.6.4

I have NeoOffice on two macs: an imac and a laptop. Both ran version 3.1.1 successfully. I downloaded and installed patch 1 on the laptop successfully. When I tried to install it on the imac, it would not let me: a message came up saying that "One or more BSD commands were not found..."

I just did an upgrade to OS 10.6.5. I may have done the upgrade of OS between my successful installation of the patch on my laptop and my unsuccessful attempt on my imac. Is there a bug in the patch?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: failure installing patch 3.3.3 patch 1 on OS 10.6.4

snokeja wrote:
I have NeoOffice on two macs: an imac and a laptop. Both ran version 3.1.1 successfully. I downloaded and installed patch 1 on the laptop successfully. When I tried to install it on the imac, it would not let me: a message came up saying that "One or more BSD commands were not found..."

I just did an upgrade to OS 10.6.5. I may have done the upgrade of OS between my successful installation of the patch on my laptop and my unsuccessful attempt on my imac. Is there a bug in the patch?

I do not think that there is not a bug in the patch. This error usually indicates that the problem is that your machine is missing some very critical files that the patch installer needs to run. I doubt that the 10.6.5 upgrade removes existing system files so the next step is to determine which files your machine is missing by using the following steps:

1. Launch the /Applications/Utilities/Console application

2. Rerun the patch installer and when the patch installer displays the error, copy all of the lines added in the Console application window into this forum topic

We can tell you which command is missing by looking at the output from step 2.

Patrick
snokeja
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject:

Patrick, thanks for responding.

I am attaching the NeoOffice text of what I think are the relevant commands as well as the image it displays when it is very unhappy.

It is difficult for me to think that I am missing some critical routines on the imac as I had never had a problem installing the earlier versions and the build is much the same as on the laptop 9except I use X a lot more on the laptop than on the imac).

If you would like, I can probably go back and find the build sequence using console on the laptop and verify the relative timing of the update and the patch installation.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject:

Your log indicates that you are missing the /usr/bin/unzip command.

The /usr/bin/unzip command is installed by the Mac OS X 10.6 installation DVD (I just confirmed this by doing a clean install to an empty volume from the DVD) so somehow this important file has been deleted from your machine.

To recover this missing system file you will need to rerun the Mac OS X 10.6 installation and choose the option to upgrade and, most importantly, install only newer or missing files.

Hope that helps.

Patrick
snokeja
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject:

Thank you for deciphering the console output for me. It is a real mystery as to why those executables were not there -- I did a comparison of /usr/bin between my laptop and the imac and found the imac was missing zip, unzip, exit, and c++filt. I copied over the ones on my laptop to the imac. The patch installed fine. Somehow those four files got deleted in the last week.

You had responded to an earlier question I raised about my missing the formatting palette that is in MS Word. i got the impression that some of the features might be included in future releases of NeoOffice -- like not having to close the format > paragraph screen before seeing how it looked. Are there any features in the newer releases related to this?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject:

snokeja wrote:
You had responded to an earlier question I raised about my missing the formatting palette that is in MS Word. i got the impression that some of the features might be included in future releases of NeoOffice -- like not having to close the format > paragraph screen before seeing how it looked. Are there any features in the newer releases related to this?

My post here is pretty clear that we are not going to invest any of our very limited resources until at least 20 donors confirm that they want that feature and only 3 including yourself have done so to date.

Patrick
snokeja
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Fair enough. Just checking.

A few months ago I offered to see if I could help the NeoOffice project in some way. The issue that prompted this offer was some out-of-date help files. I never heard back. (Maybe a message?)

Thanks again for your help on my unzip problem.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject:

snokeja wrote:
A few months ago I offered to see if I could help the NeoOffice project in some way. The issue that prompted this offer was some out-of-date help files. I never heard back. (Maybe a message?)

I don't see any posts on in of our forums from you other than your posts in this forum topic and the new feature topic. Can you tell us what help data are you referring to?

Which data you want to edit actually matters as a lot as some data like the built-in help screens in NeoOffice are extremely difficult to edit so we have people file their help changes with OpenOffice.org so that we can pick up their updated help file as the requested help changes flow through their help file integration and translation process.

Patrick
snokeja
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: re: my offer to help

Sorry, the offer was actually made through the Open Office forum. I found a specific problem, and they were asking for volunteer help. I mixed up the lists. I had been a NeoO user for some time, but last fall when i upgraded the 106, NeoO did not work on 10.6 so I tried to convert to OO. NeoO got to work on 10.6, so I went back to it.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1