Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 3.1.1 P2 won't load - Permission problems
3.1.1 P2 won't load - Permission problems

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tc4all
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: 3.1.1 P2 won't load - Permission problems

I have even tried to reload 3.1.1 Patch 1 on my MAC and did so with no problems, but Patch won't load claiming I don't have the right permission. I used Utilities to review and repair permissions. I am the only user. Never had a problem with previous versions or patches. Any ideas? It is a relatively new machine that my old data was moved to using Time Machine backups. This is the first time since then that I have tried to load a new Patch.
Thanks
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject:

When you say it will not load, does that mean that you cannot open the downloaded .dmg file?

If so, you may have an incompletely downloaded file. To check if this is the case, right-click or Control-click on the downloaded .dmg file and in the popup that appears, select the Get Info menu. In the window that appears, compare to the number bytes in the General :: Size item to the number of bytes on the NeoOffice patch download page. Do the number of bytes match?

Patrick
tc4all
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Thanks but still a problem

The numbers match up, I checked as you suggested. What I am saying is, when I go to add it to my Application folder, it comes up saying I have a copy should it overwrite. I say yes. It then comes up saying it can't because I don't have permission for some of the items. At that point all I can do is close it out.
Thanks
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks but still a problem

tc4all wrote:
The numbers match up, I checked as you suggested. What I am saying is, when I go to add it to my Application folder, it comes up saying I have a copy should it overwrite. I say yes. It then comes up saying it can't because I don't have permission for some of the items. At that point all I can do is close it out.

I am confused. It sounds like you are trying to copy files from the .dmg into your /Applications folder. Is that correct?

If so, that is not how you install the patch. Like when you installed NeoOffice 3.1.1, the .dmg includes an installer. Can you try following the NeoOffice installation steps with the patch's .dmg file that you downloaded? Does the installer start after you following those steps?

Patrick
tc4all
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: No, I understand that.

No, I do decompress or whatever you want to call it. Then what I have said before happens when I place the item that I am told to move to the Application Folder, into the Application folder. It says there is one there and do I want to replace it. I say yes, then it comes back immediately and tells me it can't because of permission problems.
Thanks
TC
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: No, I understand that.

tc4all wrote:
No, I do decompress or whatever you want to call it. Then what I have said before happens when I place the item that I am told to move to the Application Folder, into the Application folder. It says there is one there and do I want to replace it. I say yes, then it comes back immediately and tells me it can't because of permission problems.

Nowhere in our instructions or our installer does it say to move any files. It is pretty clear to me that you are not using the installer to install the patch but, instead, you are trying to copy or drag files into your /Application folder. That will not work. The only way to install NeoOffice or its language packs or its patches is by running the installer.

Is it possible that you are trying to install the patch and you have not downloaded and installed NeoOffice 3.1.1 first? The patch is merely an update, not a full installation so if you do not have NeoOffice 3.1.1 installed, you will get the following error message when you try to install the patch:

If you are certain that you already have NeoOffice 3.1.1 installed, can you take a screen snapshot of the error that you describe by pressing the Shift-Control-4 keys, highlighting the error, and then attaching the snapshot image that is created on your Desktop?

You can attach a file to your post using the steps in this post.

Edit: Fixed typo in key shortcut for taking a screen snapshot. Shift-Control-4 is the correct key shortcut.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject:

I forgot to ask for one other screen snapshot. Can you give me a screen snapshot of the window that saves to "move the files to the Applications folder" that you are seeing?

Like the other snapshot, press the Shift-Control-4 to create a screen snapshot image file on your Desktop and then attach that snapshot file to your post.

Patrick
tc4all
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: All solved

My wording was wrong but the end is that I ran Onyx and tried after that. Now it ran and loaded fine. Must have been a true permission problem or something like that was leading me into a maze.
Thanks for the help.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1