NeoOffice :: View topic - 3.1.1 patch 0 Freezing entire computer
3.1.1 patch 0 Freezing entire computer

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Patrick:

I think I did this right. See 3 attachments, numbered the same as in your instructions.

Paul
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject:

OK. Here's #2.
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Here's #1.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for the screen snapshots. It is clear that you all of your volumes have plenty of free disk space and none of the volumes has any obviously unusual configuration so that is definitely not the cause of the problem.

Since I am still perplexed as to the cause by the problems that you are experiencing, I reread all of your posts in this forum topic again to see if any data jumps out of me and the following Console application output that you posted seems like it might have something to do with what is happening:

Quote:
8/16/10 12:05:51 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (com.intego.VirusBarrierX6.scanner.daemon[466]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error
8/16/10 12:05:51 PM com.apple.ReportCrash.Root[1846] 2010-08-16 12:05:51.227 ReportCrash[1846:2703] Saved crash report for virusbarriers[466] version ??? (???) to /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/virusbarriers_2010-08-16-120551_localhost.crash
8/16/10 12:05:55 PM virusbarriers[1847] VirusBarrier X6 OK

This output tells me that your VirusBarrier X6 anti-virus software is crashing at the same time the installer is searching the /Applications folder on your 3 volumes.

Since many anti-virus software applications work by installing a Mac OS X "kernel extension" so that they can scan a file whenever applications like the Mac OS X installer tool or NeoOffice read or write any files to disk, it may be possible that both the installer tool and NeoOffice hangs are caused by your anti-virus software's "real time scanning" code.

My theory is that when our installer scripts try to read some files from your 3 volumes, the anti-virus software jumps into action and blocks the read until it finishes its scan of each file that the scripts try to read. It the anti-virus software crashes at this point (that is when the scripts are trying to read a file), the read will block like we are seeing in your samples of the installer tool.

Likewise, if NeoOffice does any writing to a file (like during autosave or manual save) or tries to read from a network connection (during the automatic update check) and the anti-virus software crashes, any such read or write actions that NeoOffice makes will block.

To test my theory, you will need to fully shut down VirusBarrier X6. The problem is that VirusBarrier X6 has several background processes and from their online documentation, I did not find any steps for disabling their software.

So, the only way to really know if VirusBarrier X6 is the cause would be to uninstall VirusBarrier X6 completely and reboot. Is that something that you are able to do? If so, after uninstallation and reboot, can you rerun the NeoOffice patch installer and see if any of your volumes become selectable in the installer in less than a minute?

If you are worried about viruses, be sure to disconnect your network cable and turn off Airport in the System Preferences application before you uninstall VirusBarrier X6.

Patrick
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject:

Patrick:

Your latest bit of detective work sounds very logical. I can't test it the way you suggest, though, because, as I mentioned, I finally did get patch 2 installed, and I haven't had anymore freezes since the last one I told you about. I'll have to wait for patch 3, whenever that comes, and see if I have trouble. If I do, I'll uninstall Virus Barrier X6 and see if that helps.

Paul
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject:

paulgabel wrote:
Your latest bit of detective work sounds very logical. I can't test it the way you suggest, though, because, as I mentioned, I finally did get patch 2 installed, and I haven't had anymore freezes since the last one I told you about. I'll have to wait for patch 3, whenever that comes, and see if I have trouble. If I do, I'll uninstall Virus Barrier X6 and see if that helps.

That is good news. I agree with your approach of waiting until the hanging appears again.

From what I have read via some reviews found in my Google search is that some people have reported that their machine would become completely hung but only occasionally. Some people theorized that the hanging occurred whiele VirusBarrier X6 was doing a full scan of one or more volumes.

I do not know how the VirusBarrier X6 code works, but one safe thing to try is to quit all applications running in the Dock and then manually have VirusBarrier X6 do a full scan of all 3 volumes overnight. My hope is that once all 3 volumes have been fully scanned once without interruption, VirusBarrier X6 will only rescan new or changed files and that will significantly reduce the risk of the installer tool or your machine hanging.

If you try the above, after a full scan of the 3 volumes is done can you try installing the following test patch and see if the test patch installer hangs? This test patch is Patch 2 plus a few more bug fixes that we will include in September's NeoOffice 3.1.2 release:

Intel:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-8-Intel.dmg

PowerPC:
http://joe.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.1.1-Patch-2-Test-8-PowerPC.dmg

Patrick
paulgabel
Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Before trying the Virus Barrier X6 scan of all 3 volumes, I decided to try installing patch 2 test 8 (Intel) in my current condition. What I found out is that it all works fine if I wait long enough. I have to wait perhaps 5 minutes to be able to select the Macintosh HD volume, then another 5 minutes after the Installer progress bar is about 3/4 of the way across (I sent you a screen shot of this earlier). Then it finishes up.

I haven't had any more whole computer freezes lately.

Paul
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject:

paulgabel wrote:
Before trying the Virus Barrier X6 scan of all 3 volumes, I decided to try installing patch 2 test 8 (Intel) in my current condition. What I found out is that it all works fine if I wait long enough. I have to wait perhaps 5 minutes to be able to select the Macintosh HD volume, then another 5 minutes after the Installer progress bar is about 3/4 of the way across (I sent you a screen shot of this earlier). Then it finishes up.

Sounds like Virus Barrier X6 is slowing down the patch installer either because it is scanning the patch installer's files or scanning the /Applications subfolders that the patch installer searches for a NeoOffice installation in.

Either way, the slowdown does not seem to do any harm so if you can tolerate the delay, there seems to be no need to remove Virus Barrier X6 from your machine.

paulgabel wrote:
I haven't had any more whole computer freezes lately.

That is good news. If you run into this problem again, please post and we can resume our investigation.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3