Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - My spreadsheet takes 20 secs to save -- Why?
My spreadsheet takes 20 secs to save -- Why?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wickerman
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: My spreadsheet takes 20 secs to save -- Why?

I have a spreadsheet document with 16 sheets in it. Any changes take a full 20 secs to save. Is this normal?

Last edited by Wickerman on Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject:

Can you attach a sample spreadsheet that I can use to try and reproduce the behavior that you are seeing? You can attach a sample spreadsheet using the steps in this forum post.

Also, can you tell us both the version and pach numbers that are shown when you select NeoOffice's Help :: About NeoOffice menu?

Patrick
Wickerman
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject:

Attachment added.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject:

Thank you for the document. I can reproduce the behavior that you see and it appears that the problem is triggered by the print scale mode settings in each of your sheets.

If you go to the "Template" sheet, select the Format :: Page menu, and in the dialog that appears, click on the Sheet tab, you will see that the "Scaling mode" is set to "Fit print range(s) to number of pages". Determining the optimal print scaling percentage where the content fits perfectly within one page is very CPU intensive so you will also see slowness when saving, printing, or exporting to PDF.

If you really need to squeeze of the content on one sheet onto a single sheet, there is an easy way to eliminate this slowness using the following steps:

1. Select the Format :: Page menu and in the dialog that appears, click on the Sheet tab

2. Change the "Scaling mode" to "Reduce/enlarge printout", set the "Scaling factor" to an estimate of how much you need to sheet scaled down to fit on one page (I used 25% for your "Template" sheet), and press the OK button

3. Test your estimated scaling factor by pressing the Print toolbar button and in the dialog that appears, press the Preview button. The Preview application will open. If the content spills onto a second page then repeat the above steps using a smaller "Scaling factor"

4. Repeat the above process for all other sheets in your spreadsheet.

Do the above steps speed up saving and printing significantly?

Patrick
Wickerman
Operator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick. Is there a quick way to change this setting for all the sheets in the document or do I need to go in and change them all manually?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject:

To improve saving speed, you will only need to change this setting in the first sheet. To improve export to PDF and print speed, you will need to change all sheets.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1