Removing Java from windows, menus, and printing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
When I move the cursor around the sheet with the arrow keys the contents of the current cell is normally displayed in the bar at the top. However now they do not show up when moving vertically from a blank cell to one with content. Indeed the cell contents aren't displayed until the new cell has a different value from the previous one.

Good catch. This bug does not occur on Mac OS X 10.5 so I did not see it in my own testing.

I have fixed this bug in the following test patch. What I found was that my code was failing to mark portions of the window as requiring redisplay after copying an offscreen image to the window. I assume that the bug does occur on Mac OS X 10.5 because that Mac OS X version redisplays the entire window if any portion of the window needs redisplay but later Mac SO X versions will only redisplay the portions of the window that our code marks as needing redisplay.

I have also added code that defers updating the menus in the menubar whenever a menu shortcut event is being dispatched. Hopefully, this will fix the menubar remains highlighted issue that you are seeing occasionally.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if the following test patch fixes the above 2 issues for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-11-Intel.dmg

Patrick
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject:

Patch 5-Test 11 fixes the spreadsheet bug for me. I've not done much work in NeoOffice yet to give the menu bug a chance to re-appear, but I'll let you know if it does in the future.

Just a wee question about the installer. I had copied and re-named NeoOffice (with Patch 5 installed) as "NeoOffice (Java)" and been using that version to compare pre and post test patch versions, but the latest patch seems to have updated both "NeoOffice" and "NeoOffice (Java)". It ran "NeoOffice (Java)" at the end of the installation, where previously it has run "NeoOffice".

I ran the command
Code:
ls -l /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/basis-link/program/libvclmxi.dylib

and got 5 June 12:21 for both copies.

Has something changed in the installer? Where can I put a vanilla version of Patch 5 so it won't get updated again?

Cheers,

Andy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject:

amayze wrote:
Has something changed in the installer? Where can I put a vanilla version of Patch 5 so it won't get updated again?

What you are seeing is the same old patch behavior. Both the official and the test patches will patch all compatible versions that it finds on the volume that you selected in the installer so if you install NeoOffice 3.2.1 Patch 5, both installations will revert back to using Java.

The simplest way to prevent the patch installer from modifying a NeoOffice installation is to move that installation to a different volume. If you have only one volume on your machine, it is a bit trickier but if you do the following steps, the patch installer will only patch NeoOffice installations that are in the /Applications folder or its subfolders:

1. Move the NeoOffice installation out of the /Applications folder

2. Before each patch installer run, execute the following Terminal command to delete a file that the patch installer uses to find your "last run" NeoOffice installation:

Code:
rm ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-3.0/.lastcontentshome

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
To some degree this happens in my test file at various magnifications. But I get it quite strongly at 17%, 128% and 129% magnification at 10 point size, also with Times New Roman.

I also get some more visible anti-aliasing in the preferences with Lucida Grande (which I have set to replace Andale Sans UI). Almost feels like it is being anti-aliased twice.

I have some news. Today I was finally able to see a difference in antialiasing between our old Java code and the latest test patch. After trying enabling and disabling all possible antialiasing drawing options yesterday, I was about to give up this morning. Shortly after that, I did one last round of testing on a laptop and that is when I found the cause.

The problem was that this bug only occurs on LCD monitors that support font smoothing. On such monitors, if you take a screen snapshot (like yours in this post and zoom in until the font is a couple centimeters high, you can see that the antialiasing pixels are a shade of red or blue. This use of red or blue is font smoothing and only works on LCD monitors. On VGA monitors, antialiasing is done with only the font color.

Anyway, the cause is this bug is that coordinate flipping is distorting the font smoothing. Coordinate flipping is where a draw using OpenOffice.org's coordinates (where y = 0 is at the top of a window) and then copy to the screen (where y = 0 is at the bottom of a window).

It will take me a couple of days, but I will try to convert all OpenOffice.org coordinates to Mac OS X coordinates before drawing so no "make a flipped copy" action needs to be done.

I will post again when I have more news to report.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject:

Good luck! Sorry that it had to be the absolute last thing you tried.. Confused
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject:

I have fixed the font antialiasing bug that Oscar found. As I mentioned in my last post, I had to change my drawing code to do all drawing in the native coordinate space (where y = 0 is at the bottom) instead of drawing in OOo's coordinate space (where y = 0 is at the top) by using the standard translate and scale by -1.

Can you install the test patch and tell us if the following test patch fixes the font antialiasing bug for you? Since this change in drawing approach affects all drawing including printing, I would not be surprised if some new drawing bugs (such as shifting of content or drawing artifacts) appear with this test patch so please let us know if you see any new bugs:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-12-Intel.dmg

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject:

Dear Patrick,

Outstanding job overall! I didn't see clear mistakes in a big Writer document and a PDF I exported from that, and Calc also looked good with little problem displaying a huge Excel spreadsheet I made for my PhD thesis some years ago.

The only place where things went wrong was when I imported a pptx but I believe that is an artifact of the pptx importer, because a ppt and odp that I opened both looked fine.

I very much appreciate that the non-Java code has much faster UI response than it used to.

best wishes,
Oscar

amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject:

I'd managed to see this problem too, after Patrick & Oscar's description of it and can confirm that it is now fixed for me too.

Text looks much sharper now.

Will keep an eye out for problems.

Andy
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject:

Like I said, I'd look out for problems!

Here's a good one.

Open a new spreadsheet.
Move the cursor round with the arrow keys - no problem.
Now press and hold SHIFT.
Use the up arrow, the cursor goes up, but no selection is highlighted.
Now without letting go of SHIFT use the down arrow - the cursor still moves up!
The opposite is also true with down first.
Letting go of SHIFT returns the cursor to normal operation.

Now hold down SHIFT again, but this time go left or right.
The selection is correctly highlighted.
Now without letting go of SHIFT use up or down arrows.
The selection keeps moving in the horizontal direction you last used.
Now let go of shift and use any direction.
The selection is still active, though at least the arrow keys work as they should.
Only by typing Return do things go back to normal.

Now to finish editing my spreadsheet without using the arrow keys!!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
The only place where things went wrong was when I imported a pptx but I believe that is an artifact of the pptx importer, because a ppt and odp that I opened both looked fine.

You may be right that it is a .pptx importer issue, but just to be safe can you post a screen snapshot or a sample document so that I can verify that this is not a bug in my drawing code?

amayze wrote:
Now hold down SHIFT again, but this time go left or right.
The selection is correctly highlighted.
Now without letting go of SHIFT use up or down arrows.
The selection keeps moving in the horizontal direction you last used.
Now let go of shift and use any direction.
The selection is still active, though at least the arrow keys work as they should.
Only by typing Return do things go back to normal.

I found the cause of the strange Shift-arrow behavior. It was due to my removal of the old Java code on 4 June. Since we are nearing NeoOffice 3.3 Beta release, I removed all of the obsolete Java code as more than half of the code in some of our oldest source code files were full of dead code.

Apparently, I had improperly marked a line of code that resets the state of the last Mac OS X "key binding" event as Java-only code and so, after removing it, the first key binding event (like Shift-Up or Shift-Down) sets the state to some value and subsequent events would return the same result as those first key binding event instead of the expected result.

So I have fixed this bug by adding back the one line of code that clears the state before each key binding event is processed. Does the following test patch fix this bug for you?:

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-3.2.1-Patch-5-Test-13-Intel.dmg

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
ovvldc wrote:

You may be right that it is a .pptx importer issue, but just to be safe can you post a screen snapshot or a sample document so that I can verify that this is not a bug in my drawing code?

Sure, attaching the presentation now.

Also, I remember now that I had a crash when NeoOffice started up after the installation. It worked fine when I tried again, but I will attach that file just in case. The only unusual things about it is that I was watching a video in preview fullscreen when NeoOffice was loading.

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject:

crashlog
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

I opened your sample document and the unexpected thing that I see is that the white banner text at the top the attached screen snapshot is placed off the edge of the slide whereas in PowerPoint 2008 the white text is vertically centered in the blue banner area. This text mispositioning occurs in both LibreOffice 3.3.x and 3.4.x so I believe it is a .pptx importer bug, not a drawing bug.

Is this the only artifact that you are seeing? Or are there any other artifacts that I missed?

ovvldc wrote:
Also, I remember now that I had a crash when NeoOffice started up after the installation. It worked fine when I tried again, but I will attach that file just in case. The only unusual things about it is that I was watching a video in preview fullscreen when NeoOffice was loading.

Thank you for the crash log. I have a fix for this crash that I'll put in the next test patch. This particular crash appears to be caused by Mac OS X calling NeoOffice's "screen settings changed" listener function before NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org code has finished initializing itself. So, to fix the bug, I added code in NeoOffice's listener functions to do nothing and exit if the OpenOffice.org code has not yet finished its initialization process.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I opened your sample document and the unexpected thing that I see is that the white banner text at the top the attached screen snapshot is placed off the edge of the slide whereas in PowerPoint 2008 the white text is vertically centered in the blue banner area. This text mispositioning occurs in both LibreOffice 3.3.x and 3.4.x so I believe it is a .pptx importer bug, not a drawing bug.

Is this the only artifact that you are seeing? Or are there any other artifacts that I missed?

On my system, the graphs in later slides were misshapen, with several lines that were supposed to be horizontal or vertical looking diagonal and going weirdly across the graph instead. Slides 4 and 7 have this.

On slide 8 and 9, some of the glyphs are replaced by symbols.

I will add screenshots.

pluby wrote:
Thank you for the crash log. I have a fix for this crash that I'll put in the next test patch.

Excellent Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject:

second screenshot
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12