[posted] an AppleScript to install help file

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Max_Barel wrote:
Would you mind if I then add "chown -R root:admin *" to the script? I don't like to let files owned by random id user. As I remove the intermediate zip files, there is only the license.txt remaining (from the French archive) but it's sort of a rule.

Yes. This is OK. However, use "chmod -Rf root:admin *" to also chmod any subdirectories that might get created.

Max_Barel wrote:
The "choose application" standard dialog is, iMO, the way to go and does not provide subselecting option. Anyway, I can easily splice your code in a function to narrow the check.

What I was suggesting is that you use my script code to eliminate the "select application" dialog. With the scripts, you know where all of the Neo/J installations are and you can just invoke the tar command in each.

Max_Barel wrote:
Please, do it for me, before commiting the script. I got lost in the license jungle for long now.

No problem.

Patrick
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
What I was suggesting is that you use my script code to eliminate the "select application" dialog. With the scripts, you know where all of the Neo/J installations are and you can just invoke the tar command in each.

Ah! got it. Are you sure we should force install help in every NeoJ install?
Wouldn't harm but is a bit "authoritative", isn't it?

Comment, from a user point anyone?

Max
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject:

You could display an alert dialog with the Neo/J patch and OK/Cancel buttons to allow the user to cancel the install.

Patrick
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: updated script

I just uploaded here an updated version of the script.
I modified it to include Patrick suggestions. This save a selection dialog since NeoJ install are searched in known places.
I added a confirmation dialog to ensure that the modified application is the targeted one.
This dialog thus add a new message to the "dictionnary" which need translation (ovvldc, if you read this...).

I'll mail modified dowload pages to Patrick latter tonight.

Max
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: updated script

Max_Barel wrote:
This dialog thus add a new message to the "dictionnary" which need translation (ovvldc, if you read this...).

Dutch: messinstall:"Installeer het helpbestand in de NeoOffice/J 1.1 applicatie op volume: "

German: messinstall:"Führ die Hilfefile ein in das NeoOffice/J Anwendungsprogramm in Datenträger: "

Spanish: messinstall:"Instala el archivo de ayuda en la aplicación NeoOffice/J en disco: "

And once again, no guarantees. They'll get it, but I doubt if it is perfect Spanish or German..

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc,

I can double-check the Spanish for you when I put Max's code in the Neo/J cvs repository. I am weak on Spanish idiomatic phrases (my Spanish sounds uncomfortably formal when I talk) but I am pretty good with verb conjugations. BTW, "elegir" is one of those verbs where the vowels change when conjugated e.g. "Ella eliga que ...".

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I can double-check the Spanish for you when I put Max's code in the Neo/J cvs repository.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks. My Spanish is very informal. I learnt it by doing my MSc research in Ecuador (AFAIK 'tal vez' for 'maybe' is very colloquial Latin American). And I haven't had enough practice. Any German speakers here are free to comment on my attempt at the German translation Smile.

Good luck,
Oscar

Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Updated version run on Jaguar

Patrick and I have exchanged several private mails to come up with a version of the script running successfully on both Jaguar and Panther.
Shell scripts and commands are stable between the two but AppleScript is not. Many features and functions available in Panther are absent or buggy in Jaguar.
Also zip file made by the finder under Panther include resource and HFS file info, but are not correctly unzipped under Jaguar. So we choose to use .sit or .dmg format.
If someone wants to use this script before Patrick make it available from the download page, it is there, in a sit archive.
Notice Patrick suggested a more explicit name : NeoOfficeJ_1-1_Help_Installer.

Max
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2