Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Use BitTorrent to Aid in Distribution?
Use BitTorrent to Aid in Distribution?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackGriffen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Use BitTorrent to Aid in Distribution?

Have you considered making a .torrent available for people to download full NO/J releases? I would think that it would reduce the load on your servers at release time quite a bit - even if it doesn't do any good most of the rest of the time. Now, I'm not proposing that you get rid of the full release/patch system - that's a boon for users, too. I just think that you have users who would be perfectly willing to help out your bandwidth situation if given the chance.

I know, I'm one of the people who will use a torrent, all other things being equal.

BlackGriffen
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject:

We do typically; I did it for the last release because I was around and had broadband full-time when Beta came out and could seed. That's not the case this time, but I'll try to get a torrent up when I can, unless one of the other folks beats me to it....

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject:

I am in the process of assembling the BT .torrent files for 1.1 RC. I do not have the bandwidth to seed, however, as it must be reserved for the main site, trinity, and CVS.

Will post torrent when available. Hopefully we can also add to download page.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Also, FWIW, torents are not a magical solution to distribution woe for a number of reasons. The initial distribution is, as with straight HTTP/FTP/etc., limited by the bandwidth of the "primordial" seeder. As distribution progresses, the total available download bandwidth is a factor of the number of simultaneous people downloading multiplied by their individual upstream bandwidths (usually capped or intentionally blocked and/or capped).

As the "popularity" wanes, so does the available bandwidth. Just about all folks who use BT to download will close their client after the download completes, therefore not contributing their upstream bandwidth to the cause. The bandwidth still requires a fundamental set of "seeders" to be fully provided.

From my own test cases, aside from the initial spike with each release the FTP/HTTP solutions already in place provide much better bandwidth then the torrents, especially as there's only so long before no one seeds any longer. Torrents are "evolutionary"...HTTP is permanent (in a sense) Smile

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, I enhanced the Neo/J download page so that the list of mirrors gets shuffled every 15 minutes. This will hopefully spread the load a little more evenly across all of our mirrors.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject:

So Ed and I are going to be posting past each other, but...

[I don't think it matters, but I'm seeding based on Ed's torrent file now, and he's posted a story about it on the trinity homepage]

I'll seed as I can. trinity/Ed's bandwidth seems to be getting hammered already....

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Nah, t'was just a misfire on my ISP.

I'll post this as a story too (or comment):

http://trinity.neooffice.org/torrents/NeoOfficeJ_1.1_RC.dmg.torrent

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject:

NeoOffice.org needs to be updated, too. And once this release excitement has died a bit (and as we get time!), NeoOffice.org needs to get some love. It looks like the stepchild of planamesa, trinity, bugzilla, and neowiki Crying or Very sad
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject:

Ed, why is your .torrent file 592K and mine only 12K? Is your torrent for all of the langpacks, too?

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
NeoOffice.org needs to be updated, too. And once this release excitement has died a bit (and as we get time!), NeoOffice.org needs to get some love. It looks like the stepchild of planamesa, trinity, bugzilla, and neowiki Crying or Very sad

red-headed in fact. could be worse, it could be... err.. maybe i shouldn't say that.

anyway, i'll update it tonight.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1