Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Cannot Start Release Candidate 1.1
Cannot Start Release Candidate 1.1

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurker55
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Cannot Start Release Candidate 1.1

Hi Support

My second post of this problem. I have downloaded and installed the release candidate 1.1 and it will not start. I get the following message:

/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin: running as root user is not allowed

I have run permissions check from disk utility and all apperar OK. I have "opened" the permissions on the executable with no luck (it is owned by root). I run my laptop as user root and the previous version of NeoOffice worked just fine. I am running OSX 10.3.8 with latest security patch. Any ideas?

Cheers

Lurker55

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject:

You may already know this but 'System' is also considered 'root.' Have you tried to change owner to your_user_name instead?
lurker55
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject:

Hi Guest

Thanks for the reply. The executable is owned by root:

drwxr-xrwx 3 root admin 102 7 Apr 10:14 NeoOfficeJ.app

I run as user root on this system. I should, being root and the executable being owned by root, be able to execute the application. I did not have this issue with the "beta" version of the release candidate. Additionally, I opened the app (rwx) for world access with no resolution to the start problem.

Cheers

Lurker55
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cannot Start Release Candidate 1.1

lurker55 wrote:
My second post of this problem. I have downloaded and installed the release candidate 1.1 and it will not start. I get the following message:

/Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice.bin: running as root user is not allowed

I have run permissions check from disk utility and all apperar OK. I have "opened" the permissions on the executable with no luck (it is owned by root). I run my laptop as user root and the previous version of NeoOffice worked just fine. I am running OSX 10.3.8 with latest security patch. Any ideas?

This is actually the normal behavior of Neo/J: you cannot run it as root. The reason is the when you run as root, the OOo code has a bad habit of changing the files in /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app. So, running as root has been disabled and you can only run Neo/J as a non-root user.

Patrick
lurker55
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Hi Pluby

Thanks for the response. I am so sorry to hear this from you as I have enjoyed the beta issues of this product and have been running them as user root. I find it troubling that the executable will corrupt library files when run as root and the solution is to disallow running as root. There are some of us OSX users that run as root and I personally find it a pain to switch users just to run one application. I recommend that this release candidate go back to beta untill this issue is resolved.

Cheers

Lurker55
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject:

lurker55 wrote:
I should, being root and the executable being owned by root, be able to execute the application. I did not have this issue with the "beta" version of the release candidate.

Did you read my response? Neo/J 1.1 RC is programmed specifically to not run as root. This is not configurable but a safety measure as I didn't trust the OOo code to not mess up a users system when run as root.

Your only option is to use the sudo command to run Neo/J as a non-root user.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject:

not to talk security, but running as root is not a good idea. (/understatement)
lurker55
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Hi Pluby

I did read your response and I did not mean to upset you. When in the GUI, I like to click on a file and have it open in the proper application. Using sudo or su - will not do this. I could work around this by writing a wrapper for NeoOffice and I may consider this later. This is not a problem to me. Like I said, I'll use OO.org which I have had no problems with and I will continue to watch the development of this version of the OO.org application. I still say that if there is a problem with NeoOffice (even if it is in the OO.org code) corrupting files when run as root, this should be fixed. This is not a problem as far as I know in SOffice 7 and I have had 0 issues in OO.org and the beta versions of NeoOffice with files getting corrupted or changed and I run some very complex spreadsheet based tools from Sun Micro in both OO.org and the beta NeoOffice with no problems.

Thanks for the info and best of luck with your continued development efforts on NeoOffice.

Cheers

Lurker55
lurker55
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Hi JakeOSX

I agree that admining a production server by logging as root is not too smart. As far as I am concerned, using sudo is the only acceptable method of implementing super user privlidges in that scenario. On my laptop, I am not as concerned. I understand the risks and am willing to do this on my laptop for the convience.

Cheers

Lurker55
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject:

lurker55 wrote:
I agree that admining a production server by logging as root is not too smart. As far as I am concerned, using sudo is the only acceptable method of implementing super user privlidges in that scenario. On my laptop, I am not as concerned. I understand the risks and am willing to do this on my laptop for the convience.

Well, Neo/J is geared towards production environments as well as home users, so I can sympathise with not running as root. Actually, I have a laptop and I never log in as root, I only use sudo when I need it (not that often, mostly for installing software or executing 'apachectl -graceful').

Good luck!

Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1