· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Speed Control
Speed Control

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
copasetic
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Speed Control

Forgive me for asking, but I have noticed that with each successive patch, NO/J is taking longer and longer to load (both itself and the file(s) selected). I decided to do a side by side comparison with some other office programs, and it's gotten pretty significant. Considering the features and the price, I shant complain, but would there be a way even to preload an agent or something to make the loading go a bit more speedily? I know I don't have the latest and greatest system, and doubling my RAM hasn't helped. Even the help file seems that it takes longer to pop up than it used to...saving still is pretty zippy though. Just thought I'd ask...
fabrizio venerandi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject:

Neooffice/j is not fast, openoffice is not fast, and neooffice/j is more slow than openoffice.This is a fact, and there are not spells to cast to have a more fast neooffice/j.

But:

1- the first startup in slow, the next are much faster. Here (pb 1,33) neooffice takes around 13 sec. for following startups.
2- if you have enough ram... do not close neooffice/j! Here in office I open neooffice/j at 8.00 'o clock and close it at 16.15 'o clock.
3- if you have slow opening calc files, try using the older format staroffice: if you are managing a large spreadsheet, the difference is substantial.

f.
sjolit
Sentinel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Actually, I would most definitely say that NeoOffice has gotten faster with every path and release, not the other way around (using PB 1.5 GHz). That's just my experience...
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject:

Temporarily remove your ~/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1 folder to your desktop and relaunch NeoOffice. If it loads faster for you, then it suggests that something has become corrupted in your NOJ user folder (in which case, Patrick might like you to zip it up and post as a bug in bugzilla). If there is no change, close NOJ again and put that folder back where it was.

Note that moving that folder will reset all your user preferences in NOJ to the defaults - putting it back will restore them.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
copasetic
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject:

sjolit wrote:
Actually, I would most definitely say that NeoOffice has gotten faster with every path and release, not the other way around (using PB 1.5 GHz). That's just my experience...

Yeah, it's prolly time to upgrade, or do the auto-load-when-the-thing-turns-on thing (which is why I asked for a preload routine similar to the quickstart that XP uses). On the faster macs it's a LOT better, but my lowest common denominator is a 500MHz G3, with 512 MB (OMG no WONDER it's so slow! What a loser!), and that was the one I see slowing down more and more. Compared to OfficeX it's no contest, but I am so annoyed with O:X that I will gladly endure the wait. I just need to learn patience. I uninstalled and reinstalled a beta about 6 patches back, and it did speed things up noticeably. Sadly I am too fond of the older (read: cheaper) units (hey, I got kids that prefer purple and orange to hospital white, lol). I have since seen another thread mentioning speed problems, so I guess I am not alone. I hope you all realize I wasn't wanting this to be perceived as whining, just as curiousity Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject:

copasetic wrote:
On the faster macs it's a LOT better, but my lowest common denominator is a 500MHz G3, with 512 MB (OMG no WONDER it's so slow! What a loser!), and that was the one I see slowing down more and more.

Actually, I do all my Panther testing and debugging on a 400 MHz G3 PowerBook with 384 MB of memory and, amazingly, Neo/J starts up faster on that machine than it does on my 450 MHz G4 PowerBook with twice the memory. The main difference is that the G3 is running Panther. For some reason, Panther is clearly faster for me with the same set of apps running.

Patrick
copasetic
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject:

Well that's yet another reason to upgrade...I heard rumours that .3 was more efficient than .2, but no confirmation till now. Thank you. I also did a bad thing against all advice and installed all the patches and upgrades to 10.28, all to run a silly utility that would not work on pre 10.3, (even though it SAID it was compatible it 10.2x). And to think I was under the assumption that misrepresentation and specs only happened in the Windows world, *sigh*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject:

I can sympathize. Join the club. I've never upgraded from OS X 10.2.3, Jaguar that came with my FP iMac G4 "Dome". "If it ain't broke don't..." I've had to give up some things because of that but consider that acceptable for my machine/task use. There are a lot of hacks that can let Jag behave as Panther although I agree, there is no substiitute for speed boost from Jag to Panther.

I passed on Panther 10.3 altogether and will wait about 30 days to hopfully get a new Mac (iBook or Mac Mini) with 10.4 (Tiger) pre-installed. Tiger should be the fastest yet I would deduce.
copasetic
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject:

Guest wrote:
I can sympathize. Join the club. I've never upgraded from OS X 10.2.3, Jaguar that came with my FP iMac G4 "Dome". "If it ain't broke don't..." I've had to give up some things because of that but consider that acceptable for my machine/task use. There are a lot of hacks that can let Jag behave as Panther although I agree, there is no substiitute for speed boost from Jag to Panther.

I must admit that I have become all too subdued by MS's stance of "make something new," instead of what customers clamor for over and over: "Why can't you just fix what we have first?" I used to be a big time Amiga fan, and the OS followed the same philosophy that Apple seems to have, to first make it work better instead of just making it newer... Then again, our species (at least in the West) has this insatiable desire for form over function, fueled by the menace that is marketing...;-\
copasetic
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Thanks all

Thanks to you all for your ideas, looks like Panther will be a must, though from the look of things updating Panther to 10.3.8 is a must NOT... I will admit that having it load when I log in has been a great suggestion, though it's still slower for the most part than the other packages I have installed, it's fast enough that I don't care to use them any more Very Happy. I have noticed though, that clicking the "hide" box seems useless as a login item (NO/J just won't hide when loading, this is another topic). I guess that is a problem with OSX and the way NO/J loads, though not with OSX specifically? Or maybe I am spoiled on the "run minimized" option in Windows, or the QuickStart feature that OoO/Win had. Either way, it's no biggie. If I can just get the silly window to disappear when I don't have a document open Wink..is there a way to turn this off?

Don't you just hate when people whine and complain about little inconsequential stuff? lol
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject:

One good thing (looking ahead a ways) is that the OOo 2.0 build I've successfully installed (one of the m7x series, while it's at about m90 now) seemed much faster starting up than 1.1.x, so we have that to look forward to in the "future" when Neo/J moves to the 2.0 codebase (don't bug Patrick and Ed about "when"...it will happen when it happens Smile)

OOo is dog-slow on all platforms (indeed, when other apps are removing splashscreens to improve load times, OOo added a progress bar to their splashscreen to help reassure users that yes, OOo was still loading and not to worry that something had broken or hung! Very Happy), but perhaps the Sun engineers have gotten a little serious about improving start times Smile

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1