· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - play movies in impress
play movies in impress

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolli
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: play movies in impress

is it possible to play movies in neooffice impress ?

thanks greetz wolli
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: play movies in impress

wolli wrote:
is it possible to play movies in neooffice impress ?

thanks greetz wolli

Good question - I just tried to find out how to do so but couldn't work it out and suffered a few crashes too. Anyone else know how??

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject:

Well, can Windoze Office play QT movies natively?

I think the answer lies (sp?) there.
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject:

Patrick informs me in my bug report 723 that OOo/NOJ don't support the .mov file format which is pretty bad news for Mac (and multimedia) users - where do we go at OOo to push for this support to be added? Or is version 2.0 due to gain support for .mov?

Anyway, what film formats does OOo support and how do you import and play them in Impress? I had problems with an MPEG 1 file as well...

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject:

I think you are expecting OOo to be a movie player. IMHO, I think this is a bit much to expect from an office suite.

For this type of case, OOo uses the same approach as most browsers: it offloads handling of the file to a plug-in. Unfortunately, plug-in support is not implemented in OOo on Mac OS X so this option is not available to you.

And if you are wondering when plug-in support will be available, I can almost guarantee that it will be never unless some person or company invests about $50K to $100K of developer time to implement it (which is why I nor the OOo X11 porters have tried).

Patrick
wolli
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject:

hi Wink
i tried to make it with mpeg 1,2 and qt ... now i have made a new skin for my qt player ... and make a call to a file from impress ... so the player starts ... and plays my movie better than nothing Wink
thanks for ur help Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject:

wolli said:

"... and make a call to a file from impress ... so the player starts ... and plays my movie better than nothing"

Uh..., does this mean then that you are on Windoze or that OOo does have plug-in support afterall for Mac and whatever else?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject:

Nevermind, brain fart...
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I think you are expecting OOo to be a movie player. IMHO, I think this is a bit much to expect from an office suite.

For this type of case, OOo uses the same approach as most browsers: it offloads handling of the file to a plug-in. Unfortunately, plug-in support is not implemented in OOo on Mac OS X so this option is not available to you.

And if you are wondering when plug-in support will be available, I can almost guarantee that it will be never unless some person or company invests about $50K to $100K of developer time to implement it (which is why I nor the OOo X11 porters have tried).

Patrick

Nope, but I am expecting OOo to be able to have a pretty basic feature present in other presentation software - the ability to play multimedia files. So long as there are workable solutions such as passing off the file to a media player then fine, but it is quite a serious deficiency if there aren't any. I don't expect you to code what can't be coded but, IMO, we still need to have a Wiki article a) pointing out this deficiency of the Mac version and b) showing how to get around it... at which point I get to state "goddamn Apple and their stupid policy wrt no full screen playing capability in the standard QT player!" Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject:

If you simply want to see .mov files fullscreen without purchasing quicktime pro, there are a number of freeware programs that can help. For example, try "PresentMovie" at this link:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14305

It works quite well!
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:45 am    Post subject:

Thanks, but I already use either VLC or RealPlayer - which just emphasises how fricking stupid Apple's decision to remove that capability from Quicktime is... they actually drive users away from Quicktime to the competition - idiots! Mad

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1