NeoOffice/J Performance Patch Ready for Testing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldo
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Waldo wrote:
Hmm. This will be confusing I'm guessing. It says "NeoOffice-1.1" but it's the preferences for NeoOffice 1.2. But based off OpenOffice 1.1, hence the 1.1. There WAS a version of NeoOffice/J 1.1, but that's not applicable.

Is that correct? Doesn't that seem confusing?

Yeah, it is a bit confusing. Fortunately, this value is set in the installer build. I only needed update a make macro value and no code recompiles so I was able to change this. So, the NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha preferences will be put in the following folder:

~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.x

I used "1.x" instead of "1.2" because if there is any need for a Neo 1.3 release (or something like that), I can use the same preference files after upgrade just like we have done through each Neo/J 1.1 release.

Patrick

That makes more sense.. if nothing else, the 1.x can refer to Openoffice OR neooffice Smile

W
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject:

[quote="pluby"]
Waldo wrote:
<snip>

~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-1.x

I used "1.x" instead of "1.2" because if there is any need for a Neo 1.3 release (or something like that), I can use the same preference files after upgrade just like we have done through each Neo/J 1.1 release.

Patrick

Taking that to its logical conclusion, wouldn't it be better to call it simply ~/Library/Preferencs/NeoOffice so that when the "2.0" version is released ( Wink ), there is consistency of location of the prefs for that too. Also, how about using Apple's naming convention for prefs so that the folder is org.planamesa.NeoOffice, or is that pushing things a little too far?

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject:

2.0 prefs are not compatible with 1.1.x prefs, just as 1.1.x prefs weren't compatible with 1.0.x prefs. OOo 2.0 will import parts of your OOo 1.1.x prefs if you say all the proper magic incantations and curse the right developers and their silly Linux-love.

And there's already an org.neooffice.neooffice.java.plist file for prefs related to Mac OS X integration Smile (like NSUserKeyEquivalents)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject:

FYI. After releasing NeoOffice/J 1.1 "Patch-2" yesterday, I was thinking about suggestions in this forum topic and I came to the conclusion that since patches normally have a small number of changes, putting out a patch with the numerous changes caused by the switch to Java 1.4.x may not be a good such a good idea.

In response to this feedback, I have released the following two patches:

- NeoOffice/J 1.1 "Patch-3" - This patch uses Java 1.3.1 and contains only the changes in the old Neo/J 1.1 "Patch-0". I renamed it "Patch-3" so that you contain reinstall this patch if you installed "Patch-2" or "Patch-3-With-Java-1.4.x".
- NeoOffice/J 1.1 "Patch-3-With-Java-1.4.x" - This patch contains the Java 1.4.x changes in "Patch-2" plus a fix for a hanging bug that can sometimes occur when quitting Neo/J.

I have updated the following URL so that "Patch-3" is at the top of page and "Patch-3-With-Java-1.4.x" and its warnings are at the bottom:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/patch.php

If you already downloaded "Patch-2", I would recommend that you download and install either one of these new patches.

Patrick
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Can you please clarify for me the advantages and disadvantages of installing "Patch-3-With-Java-1.4.x"? I am running OS 10.3.9. I am not that geeky, and sometimes some of the computer talk goes right over my head. Wink

I installed plain old "Patch 3" and am thrilled with how quickly NeoOffice launches now. Smile

(Just as aside, I was installing the performance patches, but stopped as my son sometimes uses my computer and I was afraid he'd lose some important school essay or other school work if it was very buggy.)

Last edited by JCG on Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrZippy
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject:

I see Apple has finally released Java 5 today 1.5.0_50.

Will this work with NeoOffice?

They include an app to change the default Java, or will NeoOffice request 1.4.2 anyway?
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I think I can probably safely answer this one for Patrick with a big fat no Wink

I imagine that it would take just as much work (if not more, as there are bound to be a bunch of bugs in the 1.5 implementation) to go from 1.4.2 to 1.5 as it has to go from 1.3.1 to 1.4.2

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
MrZippy
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject:

I was just thinking that!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
I think I can probably safely answer this one for Patrick with a big fat no Wink

I imagine that it would take just as much work (if not more, as there are bound to be a bunch of bugs in the 1.5 implementation) to go from 1.4.2 to 1.5 as it has to go from 1.3.1 to 1.4.2

Actually, it's not that bad. With Java 1.5, Apple didn't rewrite all of the Java GUI code like they did when they moved from Java 1.3.1 to 1.4.x. Instead, they appear to have merely fixed Java 1.4.x bugs and added new code where Java 1.5 has new APIs (Java rarely removes APIs that existed in previous releases).

I haven't tried the new Java 1.5 yet, but I did wire up the last Java 1.5 developer preview and most stuff seemed to work. The only exception was that I got a crash when I tried to print.

To answer the original question, I put the required entry to limit running Neo/J to Java 1.4.x in the Neo 1.2 Alpha Info.plist file. The latest Java 1.4.x patch, however, does not have this entry so, in theory, you can see whether Java 1.5 works with Neo/J.

Patrick
JCG
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject:

JCG wrote:
Can you please clarify for me the advantages and disadvantages of installing "Patch-3-With-Java-1.4.x"? I am running OS 10.3.9. I am not that geeky, and sometimes some of the computer talk goes right over my head. Wink

I installed plain old "Patch 3" and am thrilled with how quickly NeoOffice launches now. Smile

(Just as aside, I was installing the performance patches, but stopped as my son sometimes uses my computer and I was afraid he'd lose some important school essay or other school work if it was very buggy.)

Is my question too stupid to answer, or was it just blipped over? Wink (Or was I supposed to find the answer in the intervening posts? Smile)
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
JKT wrote:

Actually, it's not that bad. With Java 1.5, Apple didn't rewrite all of the Java GUI code like they did when they moved from Java 1.3.1 to 1.4.x. Instead, they appear to have merely fixed Java 1.4.x bugs and added new code where Java 1.5 has new APIs (Java rarely removes APIs that existed in previous releases).

I haven't tried the new Java 1.5 yet, but I did wire up the last Java 1.5 developer preview and most stuff seemed to work. The only exception was that I got a crash when I tried to print.

To answer the original question, I put the required entry to limit running Neo/J to Java 1.4.x in the Neo 1.2 Alpha Info.plist file. The latest Java 1.4.x patch, however, does not have this entry so, in theory, you can see whether Java 1.5 works with Neo/J.

Patrick

Well, just shows that I shouldn't go spouting before you have arrived to answer first... I take it this is because there wasn't the equivalent of a shift from Carbon to Cocoa with this update, so that makes sense. What benefits (if any) are there to using 1.5 over 1.4.2?

JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject:

JCG wrote:
JCG wrote:

Is my question too stupid to answer, or was it just blipped over? Wink (Or was I supposed to find the answer in the intervening posts? Smile)

Hehe, I had to get at least one more post in that "ignored" you... I guess that this is a suck it and see thing for you. Basically, what you should see improved:

1. Speed of the interface - menus etc pop-up a lot faster and the overall UI feels faster.
2. Cocoa font system as opposed to the Carbon one of before (a blessing and a curse)
3. More bug fixes
4. Lower memory footprint (half what it used to be)
5. EPS printing support
6. Whatever else Patrick added to his list about the PTPs on the Home page of Trinity

The negatives:

1. Slower loading (perhaps - depends on your fonts) due to the change to the Cocoa font system (see this thread for more details).
2. You get to see the UI paint onto the screen - you get used to it though.
3. There is no 3 as far as I can recall at the moment... perhaps, because it is new and hasn't been as thoroughly tested as the standard patch 3 version, there may be some undiscovered issues...

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
Well, just shows that I shouldn't go spouting before you have arrived to answer first... I take it this is because there wasn't the equivalent of a shift from Carbon to Cocoa with this update, so that makes sense. What benefits (if any) are there to using 1.5 over 1.4.2?

Well I just installed Java 1.5 and tested Neo/J with the Java 1.4.x patch. Even after setting my Java preferences to use 1.5 instead of 1.4.x, Neo/J will still load Java 1.4.x with or without the entry in the Info.plist. In other words, I think you need to be a pure Java app to get 1.5 to be used.

Just because I was curious, I then mucked around with the JVM's internal softlinks to fool it into loading Java 1.5 just to see if Neo/J works. Neo/J loaded fine and actually printed without crashing. However, the native code that I wrote for printing images and EPS does not work and will just print blank squares.

So, in sum, Neo/J will be using Java 1.4.x even if you have 1.5 installed. But at least I have confirmed that 1.5 is not that different from Java 1.4.x.

Patrick
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
<snip>In response to this feedback, I have released the following two patches:</snip>[/url]

Patrick, is there any way for the end user to distinguish between which patch they have installed (I just checked my About box and it simply says "NeoOffice/J 1.1 Patch 3" for the Java 1.4.2 version)? I ask because it might cause some confusion if people are posting new bug reports to Neo Bugzilla for NeoOffice/J during the NeoOffice 1.2 alpha/beta/rc phase of development and they don't know the distinction between the two versions (e.g. if they are using a version that is pre-installed for them by IT support, or if they just don't know which one they downloaded).

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
Patrick, is there any way for the end user to distinguish between which patch they have installed (I just checked my About box and it simply says "NeoOffice/J 1.1 Patch 3" for the Java 1.4.2 version)? I ask because it might cause some confusion if people are posting new bug reports to Neo Bugzilla for NeoOffice/J during the NeoOffice 1.2 alpha/beta/rc phase of development and they don't know the distinction between the two versions (e.g. if they are using a version that is pre-installed for them by IT support, or if they just don't know which one they downloaded).

Nope. They use the same patch number so that they can be installed on top of each other.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 23 of 26