· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Neo1.2alpha?
Neo1.2alpha?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gast

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Neo1.2alpha?

MaybeeI am just a blind chicken but is there a D/L location for NeoOffice1.2alpha? I am just curious and want to test it:))
For Patch-3: After installing Patch 3 for Java 1.4 everything worked fine (10.4.3, eMac 700, 768MB Ram) except a little hang during startup (under the second O of OpenOffice.org in the splash screen) and a small part of the button bar is redrwing itself when I activate the contextual menu from "Linksbündig" to "Einzug erhöhen". (sorry for the german naming, can't remember the english expressions right now - its the buttons between "underline" and "color")
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Patrick hasn't posted it yet, so patience...

See this thread for the cause of the "hang" during startup and a way to reduce the length.

The "flicker" is something that can't be avoided as it is due to the underlying OpenOffice.org code - see the info under the Drawing heading here for an explanation as to why this has changed.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject:

JKT wrote:

The "flicker" is something that can't be avoided as it is due to the underlying OpenOffice.org code - see the info under the Drawing heading here for an explanation as to why this has changed.

Actually it is a Java VM problem from what I remember. In any case, it will be very difficult, if possible, to eliminate the 'flicker'. I don't mind it, but some folks will find it very troublesome.

James
setrok
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject:

Will there be binaries of 1.2alpha? I'd like to test it but am rather unexperienced with compiling.

Goodbite setrok
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject:

the 1.2 alpha binaries should be released in a few days.

compiling openoffice.org, in any of its forms, is not for the casual user, so don't worry about that.
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:30 pm    Post subject:

setrok wrote:
Will there be binaries of 1.2alpha? I'd like to test it but am rather unexperienced with compiling.

Simple answer is yes. They should be released this weekend if no futher problems are discovered that will prevent this from happening.

Be aware that this software is a test version and that you should take as many precautions as possible. The program may 'eat' your data and is not to be used for production level work (although it has not done so on my system, this may happen on your system.) We would also like for you to test interoperability with other programs, if they are available, like Word on a Windows system, Apple Works, and OpenOffice (this is available in version 1.1.2 as a final release and 2.0 as a release candidate.)

James
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject:

FYI. NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha is now out:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=102&mode=thread&order=1&thold=0

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject:

And the updates are live on VT and MU, though as always, MacUpdate screwed something up (they still list it as NeoOffice/J, despite my deleting all the /J when posting the update)... Sad

Smokey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: thank you!

to all the developers. Neo 1.2 is amazing in terms of speed and implementation for Mac. Thank you all!
kevmck
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: thank you!

Gast wrote:
to all the developers. Neo 1.2 is amazing in terms of speed and implementation for Mac. Thank you all!

Hear, hear! I couldn't agree more. The current 1.2 Alpha is fast, stable, and powerful and represents a significant move forward for this wonderful application. Hats off and a sincere thanks from another grateful user!

- Kevin
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: thank you!

kevmck wrote:
Gast wrote:

Hear, hear! I couldn't agree more. The current 1.2 Alpha is fast, stable, and powerful and represents a significant move forward for this wonderful application. Hats off and a sincere thanks from another grateful user!

From those of us who were building and testing in the 'background', thank you. It took a great deal of effort from Patrick, Ed, several others and myself (I started the 1.1.5 integration effort, now to find out how I can change that X11 file picker to an Aqua file picker...)

James
mcarling
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject:

I understand that 1.2Alpha is more featureful and faster than 1.1Patch3 or 1.1Patch3withJava1.4.2. However, I'm not clear on which of these three should be the most stable. Could someone please explain the differences among these three patches and how stability is impacted?
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject:

1.2 Alpha is potentially the least stable (it is an upgrade to both the Java 1.4.2 codebase and the OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 codebase).

1.1 Patch 3 with Java 1.4.2 is stable but less testing has been done with it than the plain vanilla patch 3 (Java 1.3.1 version) purely because the plain vanilla patch 3 has, in essence, been around and used for far longer.

If you are reluctant to use 1.2 Alpha until it reaches a more stable status (beta or release candidate or final) I would probably use the Java 1.4.2 version of patch 3. Speed-wise, Patch 3 with Java 1.4.2 should be fairly similar to 1.2 Alpha at the present - the only major difference will be the inability to open OpenDocument files as you can in 1.2 Alpha (due to its basis upon OpenOffice.org 1.1.5).

HTH

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
jjmckenzie51
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
1.2 Alpha is potentially the least stable (it is an upgrade to both the Java 1.4.2 codebase and the OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 codebase).

This is correct although the Alpha has gone though quite a bit of testing before release. However, if you are looking for a production version, this is not what I would use. If you are interested at looking at the future (and possibly finding things that need to be fixed) then the Alpha is what I would use.

JKT wrote:
1.1 Patch 3 with Java 1.4.2 is stable but less testing has been done with it than the plain vanilla patch 3 (Java 1.3.1 version) purely because the plain vanilla patch 3 has, in essence, been around and used for far longer.

True. The Java 1.4 patch is definately stable as the only code replaced is that which supported Java 1.3 with code that supports Java 1.4. However, this may cause problems only related to Java 1.4. As we have a limited number of systems to do initial testing with, you may experience problems with this release. The more it is used, the better it will become (and the more problems that are reported, the better it will become.)

JKT wrote:

If you are reluctant to use 1.2 Alpha until it reaches a more stable status (beta or release candidate or final) I would probably use the Java 1.4.2 version of patch 3. Speed-wise, Patch 3 with Java 1.4.2 should be fairly similar to 1.2 Alpha at the present - the only major difference will be the inability to open OpenDocument files as you can in 1.2 Alpha (due to its basis upon OpenOffice.org 1.1.5).

That is basically correct. OpenOffice 1.1.5 code also has fixes for problems reported with the code base for NeoOffice 1.1. This should not force anyone to adopt NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha over NeoOffice 1.1.

What I would do is start with NeoOffice 1.1 with the latest patch for Java 1.3. If this meets your needs, then this is where I would stay until NeoOffice 1.2 is released as a Final product. If it is too slow, then I would add the 1.4.2 patch. I definately would not use NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha in a production environment (although I do use it for daily tasks as I build and test this release on Tiger and I definately would like to find problems on this platform with both building the product and using it.) Which version you use is up to your personal preferences and tolerance to loosing data.
If you are going to use NeoOffice 1.2 Alpha, a recent backup of your data is definately recommended.

James

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: thank you!

kevmck wrote:
The current 1.2 Alpha is fast, stable, and powerful and represents a significant move forward

Installed today. I completely agree! Thank you, and congratulation!

Paolo
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1