· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Media Browser Support
Media Browser Support

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Media Browser Support

Ed has fixed the MetaDataTool crashing, the Dutch translation, and limited display of the toolbar to only in Writer, Calc, Impress, and Draw documents.

I have spun a new test patch with his changes so please install the following test patch:

PowerPC:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-2-Test-2-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-2-Test-2-Intel.dmg

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
yoxi wrote:
i) I docked the floating toolbar from the toolbar's dropdown menu, and then closed the main doc window - and there was still a MB floating toolbar sitting underneath it on its own, which I then closed. Is that expected behaviour?

Fixed it. The toolbar now should not appear when all windows are closed. These'll all be in the next test patch.

Great - incidentally, it also appears for Chart, but without a dropdown menu option - I just closed it instead.

- padmavyuha

*edit* sorry, missed the post about test-2, no floaters in Chart now.

Last edited by yoxi on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:55 am; edited 2 times in total
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
yoxi wrote:

ii) Is there any way of assigning other folders to appear in the MB folder list? I've got a temporary dumping-ground folder on my desktop for images off my phone that I haven't had time to classify or tweak into iPhoto yet, and it'd be great to have access to that folder too. (If not, I can always put it in the Pictures folder and put an alias on my desktop Smile)

Right now I don't know of anyway to do that outside of doing it in source code itself. If you want to self-compile it I'd be happy to guide you through Smile

No, that's okay Smile - strangely, it had never occurred to me to use an alias to a folder in ~/Pictures - now they're all in one place, I can still get at 'em from the desktop, and in the MB too.

- padmavyuha
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject:

OK yeah it seems Chart doesn't allow for DnD of text or pictures; I'll disable it in there.

Glad the alias worked...it may not be in the top listing but hopefully it's still handy enough Smile You should be able to put any number of symlinks in there as you want as the default code for those nodes will do a deep directory traversal; same goes for the Music and Movies media categories.

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject:

OK, we're on to something here. The translations now work.

A few things that could use tweaking:
* the Toolbar button works, but response is very slow
* My Camino bookmarks are not in the Media Browser (that will tick off Smokey)..

but

* NeoOffice has slowed down a lot recently. Getting the menu to appear takes a second or two and it cycles slowly as well.
* While I am writing this, NeoOffice is running with an empty document in the background and uses 50%-90% of my processor time (usually in the mid eighties).
* There seems to be a wee leak going on. NeoOffice cycles between several amounts of memory while looking at it in Activity Monitor. It goes through roughly five values that are all raised slightly as the cycle progresses.

I think there's quite a bit of work to be done here..

Best wishes,
Oscar

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject:

After I finished typing the previous message, NeoOffice stopped increasing memory, dropped some of it as well and is not at a mild 2.7% of processor use.

But that took a good five minutes. And now i go to NeoOffice and it doesn't respond when I try to type. Doesn't adapt the menu bar either.

So now it stopped eating processor but stopped responding at any speed as well. It's been over a minute since I tried to type and nothing happened yet. oddly enough, I can use toolbars (the buttons highlight) and even start a bullet list - it responds nicely to that. But no typing. I could quit with a keyboard shortcut without problem.

I wonder if the MetaDataTool, is holding it up. That process appeared in Acitvity Monitor and left when I quit NeoOffice.

Best wishes,
Oscar

kberg
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject:

Writer
Pictures work as expected

Impress
Pictures (jpg) work ok
mp3 work ok
.wmv (with flip4mac plugin) are working
got some troubles running .3gp which run in Quicktime. (text conversion dialog)... but this is happening with normal drag'n'drop, too. Unsupportet MIME Type?

Mike
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject:

I just installed the test patch. I haven't played with it extensively, but being able to drag-and-drop stuff into a NeoOffice document is just amazing.

That feature would have made my life a lot easier had it been implemented 3 years ago Very Happy
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
* My Camino bookmarks are not in the Media Browser (that will tick off Smokey)..

My guess is that the MediaBrowser folks have only implemented a parser for Safari's plist style and the old Netscape html style, so that anyone using anything else (Camino's plist, Firefox 3's .sqlite db, etc.) won't appear.

OTOH, Camino implements the Shared Menus framework, so they could get at bookmarks that way without having to write a parser if they wanted.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
After I finished typing the previous message, NeoOffice stopped increasing memory, dropped some of it as well and is not at a mild 2.7% of processor use.

But that took a good five minutes. And now i go to NeoOffice and it doesn't respond when I try to type. Doesn't adapt the menu bar either.

So now it stopped eating processor but stopped responding at any speed as well. It's been over a minute since I tried to type and nothing happened yet. oddly enough, I can use toolbars (the buttons highlight) and even start a bullet list - it responds nicely to that. But no typing. I could quit with a keyboard shortcut without problem.

I wonder if the MetaDataTool, is holding it up. That process appeared in Acitvity Monitor and left when I quit NeoOffice.

Best wishes,
Oscar

I have not experienced any typing or menu problems, however. Is there any specific steps that seem to trigger this?

Edit: is it possible that focus merely moved to the floating toolbar? When floating toolbars have focus, the menubar is hidden and most toolbars do not do anything with key entry events.

As for the memory and processor usage, that actually sounds reasonable as what you are seeing is memory and CPU usage to load thumbnails of all of your images, movies, and links. From what I can see, the Media Browser code will load the images and cache the thumbnail so that rendering will be reasonably fast.

This process of loading and caching images does take time as the browser will keep working through all your media files until it gets through them all. That is when you see CPU usage drop.

In may case, this loading only occurs for about a minute or so due to the limited number of images and video files that I have and is equivalent to the time it takes iPhoto to launch and display images.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject:

Also, what approximately are the sizes of your iPhoto and iTunes libraries? I suspect those might be the largest ones. I have only about 116 photos in my iTunes library, 2457 audio files, and 233 movies. I haven't noticed any bad hitching on my machine, but I'm guessing that one of those numbers for you might be an order of a magnitude larger and point to where the bottlenecks are Smile

ed
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject:

I am not able to insert music from iTunes via the Media Browser. I always get the Insert section dialog. That seems strange because all these files can be inserted via the Insert > Movie and Sound menu Question Sad

Jacqueline
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
I am not able to insert music from iTunes via the Media Browser. I always get the Insert section dialog. That seems strange because all these files can be inserted via the Insert > Movie and Sound menu Question Sad

Jacqueline

What are the extension on the files?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject:

Is it known/expected that you have to use Fn-Delete to remove sound and video files you've added to a Writer document (whereas Delete removes images, etc.)?

Edit: added video

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Is it known/expected that you have to use Fn-Delete to remove sound files you've added to a Writer document (whereas Delete removes images, etc.)?

This OpenOffice.org bug has been already discussed here.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7