NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
sardisson wrote:
Is it known/expected that you have to use Fn-Delete to remove sound files you've added to a Writer document (whereas Delete removes images, etc.)?

This OpenOffice.org bug has been already discussed here.

Patrick

I have a short memory these days Embarassed

And I see our friends the crack software engineers in Hamburg feel that such mind-boggling inconsistency is not a bug Razz Evil or Very Mad

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject:

kberg wrote:
got some troubles running .3gp which run in Quicktime. (text conversion dialog)... but this is happening with normal drag'n'drop, too. Unsupportet MIME Type?

You are correct. I have added .3gp and .3g2 to the list of movie and sound file extensions.

I believe Jacqueline's iTunes files have the same problem so as soon as she posts the file extensions for her files, I'll put out another test patch.

Patrick
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
jgd wrote:
I am not able to insert music from iTunes via the Media Browser. I always get the Insert section dialog. That seems strange because all these files can be inserted via the Insert > Movie and Sound menu Question Sad

Jacqueline

What are the extension on the files?

Patrick

They are all AAC files. I can insert mpeg and aiff files.

Jacqueline
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Media Browser Support

FYI. I have made the following changes:

- Added .3gp, .3g2, and .aac to the list of valid movie and sound file extensions
- Disabled the Media Browser menus and toolbars in the Chart module

I have spun a new test patch with the changes so please install the following test patch:

PowerPC:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-2-Test-3-PowerPC.dmg

Intel:
http://sally.neooffice.org/test/NeoOffice-2.2.3-Patch-2-Test-3-Intel.dmg

Patrick
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, that doesn't work with the aac files. Sad

Jacqueline
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject:

jgd wrote:

Jacqueline

AAC or .aac? iTunes usually adds a .m4a extension to AAC audio files. For this issue, the format doesn't matter, as long as it's supported; Patrick needs to know the actual extension of the files.

Edit: Indeed, .m4a files do not work after applying Patch 2 Test 3, but .aac files work (and, .m4v seems to work as well). Similarly, .wmv files work, but .asf ones don't.

Patrick, since you added all these extensions to Insert > Movie and Sound, isn't there a source file where already added extensions reside?

Last edited by Samwise on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject:

@Patrick: I just started NeoOffice. According to Activity Monitor, it has <1% CPU usage, 16 threads and uses 96.25 MB RAM. Response is normal.

I select Media Browser (have to do it twice before it starts): RAM actually drops to 86 MB, then to 81MB after I click on the bookmarks stuff.

Drops to 73 MB after selecting Photos, but I noticed the number of threads is now 32! Every time, CPU usage jumps to about 60%-70% for a few seconds. I clicked on movies and looked through the three dozen clips I have and found that threads rise to 38 and memory dropped again.

Then I closed Media Browser and now NeoOffice uses 72.32 MB of RAM, <1% CPU and 38 threads. I did notice that virtual memory kept growing all the time, from 700MB initially to around 800MB. Not such a big deal.

I could reproduce this behaviour almost exactly. I didn't close it the second time, but clicked on Music instead. Then I saw two instances of something called 'movietool', one of which stopped, and the other of which started to eat 80% of my CPU. I checked again and saw that it ran very quickly when I selected Movies. This time, movietool did not appear after I selected Music, but NeoOffice hit 80%+ for itself, and got up to 50 threads...

Something is very erratic here, and I have no idea what..

@Ed: I haven't too many photos in my iPhoto library (don't recall many), no movies in my iTunes and only1443 songs..

@Smokey: they seem to have a Firefox parser and a Safari parser.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject:

The number of threads is normal. This is how QuickTime works: it creates many separate threads to manage video and sound. For example, when I open NeoOffice, insert a simple movie, and play it, the number of threads jumps by 15 or so threads. Playing the same movie in QuickTime player does the same thing: the number of threads jumps to 15 threads.

Unlike viewing an image (which itself can be very resource intensive for high resolution images), movies and sound require an order of magnitude or two more resources first to unencode into drawable frames and then draw those frames to the graphics card.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject:

I can replicate the double-click to display problem with the nib included in the Dutch translation; something is throwing an exception in awakeFromNib that isn't in the other languages. I'll try to track that down.

For opening the music panel, Spotlight is used first and the metadata tool secondly. By any chance do you have Spotlight disabled? Also, what type of machine are you running on? It takes about 6-7 seconds on my G5 Quad to finish parsing and loading all of the music pane (Spotlight enabled on all drives).

ed
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
jgd wrote:

Jacqueline

AAC or .aac? iTunes usually adds a .m4a extension to AAC audio files. For this issue, the format doesn't matter, as long as it's supported; Patrick needs to know the actual extension of the files.

Edit: Indeed, .m4a files do not work after applying Patch 2 Test 3, but .aac files work (and, .m4v seems to work as well). Similarly, .wmv files work, but .asf ones don't.

Patrick, since you added all these extensions to Insert > Movie and Sound, isn't there a source file where already added extensions reside?

It's AAC, probably converted automatically by iTunes.

Jacqueline
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject:

Jacqueline, are you sure you installed the latest test patch (Patch 2 test 3)? With that patch, I have no problems dragging .aac files in a NeoOffice Writer document.

If you have installed the patch, maybe you could post the .aac files that work via Insert > Movie and Sound, but don't via drag-and-drop, somewhere?

Last edited by Samwise on Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:34 am; edited 2 times in total
kberg
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Media Browser Support

pluby wrote:

- Added .3gp, .3g2, and .aac to the list of valid movie and sound file extensions

works for me Smile

Mike
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Jacqueline, are you sure you installed the latest test patch (Patch 2 test 3)? With that patch, I have no problems dragging .aac files in a NeoOffice Writer document.

Yes, I'm sure Wink
Quote:

If you have installed the patch, maybe you could post the .aac files that work via Insert > Movie and Sound, but don't via drag-and-drop, somewhere?

In the iTunes window, the type is AAC. When I search in
Music > iTunes > iTunes Music, I see that those files are .m4a files.
Probably, it's the cause of the problem, as you said that .m4a files don't work Question

Jacqueline
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject:

.m4a is the extension given by iTunes to all or at least most AAC files. iTunes does not report the song's extension (to iTunes, they are songs, not files, so it - iTunes - doesn't care about the extensions in the user interface) so the only way to check the extension is to look in the iTunes Music folder and find the actual files.

jgd wrote:
Probably, it's the cause of the problem, as you said that .m4a files don't work Question

Definitely. Patrick needs to add the .m4a extension, as well as .asf which also doesn't work via drag-and-drop.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:

I will add .m4a to the list of file extensions that the OOo code recognizes as movie and sound files in the next test patch.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7