Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Changes in NeoOffice 2.1
Changes in NeoOffice 2.1

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject:

Hey Patrick:

I don't want to see you and Ed get ripped off like you did the last time by some #@!@$ compiling neo and releasing it for free, early, thereby cutitng the legs out from under your early adoption revenue stream.

Would you consider not checking in the last, special round of changes into cvs until after the early adoption payware period expires, so as to eliminate the possibility of a repeat performance?

Glenn
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject:

I think that under the GPL, this is not allowed...

-Oz

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I think that under the GPL, this is not allowed...

ovvldc is right: that that would be a pretty clear violation of GPL.

But not to worry, by default, the NeoOffice build does not build with the NeoOffice product name. Instead, the default product name is "My Untested Office Suite". To change the name to NeoOffice, you have to invoke make with a bunch of arguments to override the appropriate macros. While I don't think that this is very hard, I'm betting that your average EAP spoiler probably won't go through the hassle of repeatedly rebuilding to find the right make macros to set.

...and if I see crash logs that have "My Untested Office Suite" in them, I won't waste any time. I'll just close them.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
But not to worry, by default, the NeoOffice build does not build with the NeoOffice product name. Instead, the default product name is "My Untested Office Suite".

This will hopefully scare off some downloaders, too, once someone reports that the software is "My Untested Office Suite" instead of "NeoOffice" Wink

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject:

FWIW, I compile with that name too (as has been evidenced in some of my newer Aqua screenshots.

This really is the best thing since sliced bread.

Having the product name sytem in place allows anyone to freely download and compile our code while adhering to our Trademark Usage Guidelines.

If someone wants to violate our trademark they now need to do so consciously. In the US at least this awards us more damages in court for willful infringement Wink

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject:

I have modified the "Neooffice CD Distribution & Trademark Usage" wiki page, replacing mentions of "Edward H. Peterlin" with "Planamesa Inc.". I don't know if other changes are needed.

I have a question though : JKT's last post on Trinity dates back to March 2006. If he doesn't post, he probably doesn't check his PMs, and is unlikely to still be distributing NeoOffice CDs. Should he be commented out of the page ?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
I have a question though : JKT's last post on Trinity dates back to March 2006. If he doesn't post, he probably doesn't check his PMs, and is unlikely to still be distributing NeoOffice CDs. Should he be commented out of the page ?

I've emailed him to ask. One can have trinity email you when you get PMs, so it's possible to be notified even if one is not visiting regularly....

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject:

It's also easy to miss PMs since the numbers are just kind of tucked away in the sidebar and in the forum header bar.

Thanks for updating the pages Smile

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject:

FYI. All NeoOffice versions will not currently build on PowerPC. Apple's latest system update completely broke gcc 3.3 compiling. I have a potential fix that I am trying out, but it will require a complete rebuild of NeoOffice 2.1 to verify.

<rant>
What magical feature was gained by Apple moving around all of the standard headers in /usr/include in a system update? Is Apple's engineering staff that inexperienced to not know that in production systems you only changes that are absolutely necessary. Changing something because you think it is cool, "cleaner", or faster causes an inordinate amount of pain for the rest of the world when you find that your magical change breaks everything that touches it.
</rant>

Patrick
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. All NeoOffice versions will not currently build on PowerPC.
<snip>

<rant>
What magical feature was gained by Apple moving around all of the standard headers in /usr/include in a system update?
Is Apple's engineering staff that inexperienced to not know that in production systems you only changes that are absolutely necessary.
Changing something because you think it is cool, "cleaner", or faster causes an inordinate amount of pain for the rest of the world when you find that your magical change breaks everything that touches it.
</rant>

Patrick
Rats,
I still have a PowerBook G4 and really looking forward to Neo 2.1. I'll hold my ... breath Confused

I don't understand staff making changes in production systems - either. Crying or Very sad AND any system being used by others - "IS A PRODUCTION SYSTEM". biiiiig sigh Embarassed

Philip ( Crying or Very sad )

\. maybe the knowledge/Wisdom level of newer ... engineers is ... lacking?
\\ There IS a difference between Knowledge and Wisdom.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:

I still have a PowerBook G4 and really looking forward to Neo 2.1. I'll hold my ... breath Confused

Maybe that could be the excuse you need to get a shiny new Intel? Wink Seriously though, it sounds pretty callous, callow even.
Peter
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I committed my NeoOffice 2.1 build changes to the HEAD branch a few hours ago and my build is in the middle of the OOo portion of the build. I am pretty confident that it will at least finish the OOo build without error, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow.

If I can get the build to build all the way through, I will be tagging the current code when the build is done.

Patrick
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject:

aussie149 wrote:
LemonAid wrote:

Maybe that could be the excuse you need to get a shiny new Intel? Wink Seriously though, it sounds pretty callous, callow even.
Peter
OH! My Heart. Shocked
You cut me to the quick. Embarassed

My finances just fell through, along with my current dreams for a shiny (I thought they were black?) new Intel. Sad

Philip ( dreaming about a new Intel mac, another day Crying or Very sad )
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject:

Good grief, I see that OOo v2.2 is already at RC1 over at ooopackages - let's hope they've fixed the 'editing preferences while in Draw crashes the whole thing' bug Cool

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Good grief, I see that OOo v2.2 is already at RC1 over at ooopackages - let's hope they've fixed the 'editing preferences while in Draw crashes the whole thing' bug Cool

Can you provide a link or give a short description of the bug you are describing? I'm curious if it occurs in my Neo 2.1 builds or not.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3